Vtec's not kicking in..

dontknow

5+ Year Member
Well I really dont think so..

On my Civic 98' 1.8 My mate has an Type R, his kicks in around 5.5rpm (you hear it), but there's no change in my enigne sound at all at more/less the same revs. I though all Vtec's would probably "kick in" around this, I dont have any warning lights either.

Can anyone help?

I checked the filter and looked ok, if the solonoids buggered does it have to replaced or can it be cleaned/repaired?

mixwell

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
what motor are you having this issue in?

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
check your oil. v-tec runs on oil pressure and if your running low it wont kick in.

Zzyzxek

5+ Year Member
what motor you runnin? and vtec isent suppose to be as noticeable as people think. a strong engine you wont feel vtec kick in as much much but trust me its working. now if you just have a SOHC motor you wont notice it, thats not even real vtec in my eyes. but my b16a kicks in a 5700RPM and i hear it and feel it alittle but not really the engine pulls hard right from the bottom to the top its a strong motor. USDM vtec cars to typically kick in at 5500 but most JDM engines are 5700. later is better anyways. but cheak your oil pressure and make sure your throttle is at 100% or "wide open" (WOT)

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
please dont tell me youre revving the engine in your driveway listening for vtec..?

lol @ brittany with the reverse pwn :lol:

brittanyx92

wants a better civic =/
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeahhhh biiiitch. and i went and took some engine bay pics today cuz i was planning on getting sponsored. soooo. f**k with it =]
haha, jk ;)

brittanyx92

wants a better civic =/
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you'd be surprised. i sent in my application and they gave me the option of what part i wanted first, just have to pay for shipping. and go to a car show and wear a shirt and s**t representing the company.
i decided not to cuz they take $99 out of your account when you get accepted, which i did.
but i'll be getting a motor swap fairly soon. b16 without a head for $25 FTMFW!

ej_EXtasy

Big Dave
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you'd be surprised. i sent in my application and they gave me the option of what part i wanted first, just have to pay for shipping. and go to a car show and wear a shirt and s**t representing the company.
i decided not to cuz they take $99 out of your account when you get accepted, which i did.
but i'll be getting a motor swap fairly soon. b16 without a head for $25 FTMFW!
how? with tranny?