wanna keep the D series

icupnacup25

i wonna keep the D series block in my car but i dont know which one to go with the d16y8 or d16z6. i wonna do a mild build to it and then later on put a turbo on it. im not tring to have the fastest civic out there but i do wonna have a good motor without breaking my pocket. i just wonna know which would be a better deal. thanks

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would stick with the z6

chiefb26

I would agree. The z6 is a good strong platform. If you get the money, maybe get the y8 intake manifold down the road, it will help with the plenum volume for the turbo. I have the JDM d15b equivalent to the z6 and I think it's awesome. I would still have the z6 had it been cheaper to redue the head gasket when it went, but for $500 for the new motor and tranny I just swapped...

Dumb question but can anyone see my car in my profile?? I can't blow up the picture, and I know I uploaded a fullsize pic.

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i too would stick with the z6. its a strong little engine and will be alot less of a headache for you as well. the y8 is obd2a which means your going to have to do some converting. the z6 is obd1 so your already golden for that. you just have to wire up vtec.

I would agree. The z6 is a good strong platform. If you get the money, maybe get the y8 intake manifold down the road, it will help with the plenum volume for the turbo. I have the JDM d15b equivalent to the z6 and I think it's awesome. I would still have the z6 had it been cheaper to redue the head gasket when it went, but for $500 for the new motor and tranny I just swapped...

Dumb question but can anyone see my car in my profile?? I can't blow up the picture, and I know I uploaded a fullsize pic.
yes we can see the pic in the garage. if you click on the pic in there it will show the full size pic you uploaded. love the satin black btw.

SwiftEKtuner

EJ6 Powderpuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i guess it depends on how much power your going to want to make i know that when you use the y8 head it has less detonation than the z6...correct me if im wrong

icupnacup25

thanks for all of your advice no i got another thing. Today i pulled the sparkplugs out to look at them and i saw that there was oil inside of the head where the plugs go, in all of them and most of it was in the 2nd one. how bad is this and what do i gotta do to fix it? i wanted to do a swap but not this soon. thanks

Addicted

5+ Year Member
Z6 block:
Vitara Pistons
Tuner Toys rods
ACL bearing
ARP head studs

y8 head
ZEX cam

And I must suggest a good engine management. My personal favorite is AEM EMS, but that is just my opinion, I like to do things once and never worry about them again.

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks for all of your advice no i got another thing. Today i pulled the sparkplugs out to look at them and i saw that there was oil inside of the head where the plugs go, in all of them and most of it was in the 2nd one. how bad is this and what do i gotta do to fix it? i wanted to do a swap but not this soon. thanks
sounds like you need to replace the valve cover gasket and the little o-ring gaskets around the plugs.