wanting to drop my ek?

mlariviere

looking to drop my ek and wouldnt like to spend a lot of money, does anyone have any suggestions or brands? I'm a high schooler on a part-time budget:oops:. these ebay coiloers are oh so tempting, and im questioning if they would even be safe. keep in mind the car was only 2500, so i dont wanna go spending half of that on springs, or any mod for that matter.:shock:

Heres a picture for you to visualize, would you go 2 inches on this car or less? also the ugly hubcaps are gonna get tossed and im gonna paint up the steelies real nice.

Elton

when i got my ek it was dumped on a ebay sleeve kit pure crap road worse than a dump truck... save up do it right the first time

EJ1SWAG

i believe H&R makes a lowering spring with a 2.25" drop. Probably your best bet if you don't want to spend a ton of money and H&R makes a great product. If you want to go lower i'd save up 5-600 bucks and pick up some Function and Form Type 1 full coilovers. I would definitely stay away from ebay coilovers though

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i've installed and ridden in a car with "eBay" coilover sleeves before and it rode perfectly fine and handled bumps good as well..if you do decide to go that route dont forget to cut your bump-stop

CO671

Registered VIP
Just a quick question; hows your car performance-wise? Is everything perfectly fine? Engine and Interior electronics?
If there's a problem; throw the money and time into fixing those. New wheels would seem a bit better than slamming it.

mlariviere

Just a quick question; hows your car performance-wise? Is everything perfectly fine? Engine and Interior electronics?
If there's a problem; throw the money and time into fixing those. New wheels would seem a bit better than slamming it.
Everything in the car works perfect, theres no problems. I would just hate to spend upwards of $1000 on wheels and tires. thats almost half of what i payed for the car. besides, i think i like the dropped steelie look ;)

nicoalex2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Go with Skunk2 shocks and a set of Eibach or H&R springs. Total it would be around 400-500

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i've installed and ridden in a car with "eBay" coilover sleeves before and it rode perfectly fine and handled bumps good as well..if you do decide to go that route dont forget to cut your bump-stop
The problem with the no-name stuff found on eBay is that you have no idea what you're getting. They can claim this and that spring rate and blah blah, but the reality is they probably don't test the springs and I'm sure the actual spring rate is far from the claimed rate. The ride quality also depends a lot on the type of shocks used. It'd be hit or miss with ride quality due to spring rates. As for product material/quality, that is very questionable so who knows... Not worth the risk IMO.

Trekk

Registered VIP
Dont buy cheap springs, get something with name brand. Ebays might work ok at first, but @$40 I would be almost certin they will suffer from fatigue very quickly and your car will sag more and more over time. That all depends on if you give a crap about alignment.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Like I tell everyone, don't ever cheap out on suspension.

If you want to do it right the first time but don't want to spend a lot, you're going to spend more money than you want to. I would recommend this:
1. Figure out your budget
2. Figure out how much you want to lower (look at pics of other Civic's)
3. See which companies offer the desired ride height you want whether it be full coilovers or lowering springs & shocks. H&R, Skunk2, Koni, Tokico, Eibach, etc. There are a ton of companies out there.
4. Report back and we may be able to offer some opinions on which route(s) you should consider taking.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Like I tell everyone, don't ever cheap out on suspension.

If you want to do it right the first time but don't want to spend a lot, you're going to spend more money than you want to. I would recommend this:
1. Figure out your budget
2. Figure out how much you want to lower (look at pics of other Civic's)
3. See which companies offer the desired ride height you want whether it be full coilovers or lowering springs & shocks. H&R, Skunk2, Koni, Tokico, Eibach, etc. There are a ton of companies out there.
4. Report back and we may be able to offer some opinions on which route(s) you should consider taking.
He said it!
I have eBay coilovers on mine right now. I don't recommend it. Seriously, it's way more worth it to save up and buy better suspension. Hell, buy my old H&R sport springs I'm selling. Haha. It would break my heart a little if you put eBays on your cleanclean EJ.

2. Figure out how much you want to lower (look at pics of other Civic's).
This is how I figured out what suspension I want. Here is a cool thread I found on HT where I started to figure out what I want. I hope it helps
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2904182

Decipher

Registered VIP
would it be fine to drop it with some brand name coilovers on the stock shocks? or would i have to change those too? :???:
If you bought "brandname coilovers" then your factory shock absorbers would no longer be needed. A true coilover setup consists of an integrated shock/adjustable perch/spring.

If you lower your vehicle, the spring rates need to change to compensate for the reduced time/distance that your wheels(suspension) have to react to changes in the road... the dampening of the shocks needs to change to compensate for the reduced travel of the spring. It's a system that's meant to work together, and changing one element without the other will adversely effect its functionality and cause for inadequate performance/ride /feel.

You can take it from all of those who have commented so far, because most of us probably learned from experience, and wish we had had someone telling us to save our money years ago. Buying eBay lowering springs or "coilover" sleeves with springs is ultimately a waste of money and time. They are cheap. You will end up replacing them.

If you're interested:

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=206087

nick421

progress coilovers. Hear alot of great things about them and they are good price like 560 on here.