Wanting to turbo my 92 honda civic

Status
Not open for further replies.

daltonshirley68

I have a 92 honda civic that I want to turbo it has a 1.6 d series vtech engine I was wondering if u can turbo those.i don't want a lot of power just like 200hp

Sent from my SM-G530R4 using Tapatalk

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Research, this has been done 1,xxx times over with this 20+ yr old platform.

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
read the forced induction stickies, learn as much as you can. It's been done for a decade.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
OP, If the motor is healthy that's definitely possible.

I recommend doing some research on the motor and how a turbocharged system works. Here's a good place to start:
http://www.beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html

And don't but a cheap kit someone off eBay. I recommend Go-Autoworks. Research is key!

daltonshirley68

Okay guys I am getting confused information some people are saying it can be done other say it can't I can't afford a engine to blow up so what should I do I can't afford a engine swap right now

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Okay guys I am getting confused information some people are saying it can be done other say it can't I can't afford a engine to blow up so what should I do I can't afford a engine swap right now

As prevously said, research. YES your motor can be turbocharged, but it depends on whether it's healthy enough. Do a compression test, and if all is well and there are no other issues with the engine, go for it.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Do they make special turbo or can I put any turbo on it

It depends on your setup and what other turbo parts you plan on going with. A kit designed for your motor is probably your best option.

dancam

Registered VIP
Do they make special turbo or can I put any turbo on it

You can put any turbo on it, it just depends if you want it to work or not and how many modifications you want to do. You can turbo any engine. I put a turbo on a 91 civic and it worked just fine. You have to decide what you want out of it and choose the apropriet setup. This has been done tens of thousands of times- why are you looking up if it can be done? Reserch how it has been done and then decide if you want to do that. Based on your questions i would say a pre-built kit that has everything already and you just bolt the parts on is probably best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This is a heavily covered topic, so its imperative that you research everything you can THEN ask questions once you have a decent understand of what it will take. Here's the basic info to get you in the right frame of mind...

The harder you want to drive a motor, the more upgrades the internals need. A sporty engine can handle more than an efficient engine, like D-series'. Get an understanding of what your specific engine was designed for. Research what it takes to make a fuel efficient engine turbo-ready and whats a realistic goal for it. D-Series engines can be turbo'd a number of ways, ranging from upgrading the internals to keeping the stock internals but not being aggressive with it. Those that blow their D-motors usually run them hard without properly upgrading the internals to handle such vigorous driving, then wrongfully criticize the engine instead of the foolish owner.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.