Was told engine sound "camy"

dontknow

5+ Year Member
Its a 99 1.8 with 175k and a full history (I'm in the UK)...I thought the lifters needed adjusted but the guy that I've used for over 10 yrs said it sounded a bit "camy". he checked the lifters and said they were fine, but didnt advise on replacing the cams, as it'd cost to much because of the mileage age of the engine and just to change the oil more regular.

Is it that expensive to replace cams if thats what needed?

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i have no idea what the term "camy" means. if you mean the valves, then i can here my valves also, i think thats common in civics

Shenanigans

I want my CR-Z already!
5+ Year Member
Why not go ask him what that means.

juxstapo

5+ Year Member
LOL!

Sorry, not directed at you, but anyone saying a Honda sounds "cammy"

Ok! Let me pre-apologize. You are in the UK, where hoods are bonnets, trunks are boots and cars run on petrol, so before I make anymore of an ass of myself I should note that the term "cammy" may very well mean something entirely different in your neck of the woods, But
in the United States "cammy" is a slang term to describe the exhaust note of a single cam, pushrod carburated engine with a camshaft selected to run at high (relatively) RPM. (its a hotrod, muscle car, perf truck term, etc... old tech )

A cam for a motor of the previously described vintage can only be optimized for a relatively narrow operating range. So if said cam were intended to run at high RPMs (say, wide open down a drag strig), it would function rather poorly at low RPMs, (like tootling around town). It would allow for decent airflow at high RPM at the expense of choking the engine at low RPM, you see?

Thus, if the wide-tired, candy flamed 65 GTO next to you at the stop light was coughly along with a deep, throaty "Blump Bahlump lump", with the owner goosing the throttle occasionally to keep it from shutting off, you (as a fellow hotrod enthusiast), would whistle appreciatively and say "Listen at her cammin'!"

Thus, my amusement, by American standards stock, electronically fuel injected vehicals, (espeically ones as finely tuned as Hondas), don't sound "cammy"... but if it means something different over there, I apologize to your mechanic.

And as for the..... describe the sound please? Is it like a constant click or rattle?

unvmy99si

LUCID DREAMIN
5+ Year Member
He might mean the constant tick tick tick tick tick that you hear in most DOHC honda engines. Both of my integras make that sound. now he could also mean that there is something like the sound I have explained but to the point where it doesn't sound as it should. Just my guess. More info on the sound would help. a vid even.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
LOL!

Ok! Let me pre-apologize. You are in the UK, where hoods are bonnets, trunks are boots and cars run on petrol, so before I make anymore of an ass of myself I should note that the term "cammy" may very well mean something entirely different in your neck of the woods, But
in the United States "cammy" is a slang term to describe the exhaust note of a single cam, pushrod carburated engine with a camshaft selected to run at high (relatively) RPM. (its a hotrod, muscle car, perf truck term, etc... old tech )

A cam for a motor of the previously described vintage can only be optimized for a relatively narrow operating range. So if said cam were intended to run at high RPMs (say, wide open down a drag strig), it would function rather poorly at low RPMs, (like tootling around town). It would allow for decent airflow at high RPM at the expense of choking the engine at low RPM, you see?

Thus, if the wide-tired, candy flamed 65 GTO next to you at the stop light was coughly along with a deep, throaty "Blump Bahlump lump", with the owner goosing the throttle occasionally to keep it from shutting off, you (as a fellow hotrod enthusiast), would whistle appreciatively and say "Listen at her cammin'!"

Thus, my amusement, by American standards stock, electronically fuel injected vehicals, (espeically ones as finely tuned as Hondas), don't sound "cammy"... but if it means something different over there, I apologize to your mechanic.

And as for the..... describe the sound please? Is it like a constant click or rattle?

Made me laugh. I like this guy!

dontknow

5+ Year Member
LOL!

He might mean the constant tick tick tick tick tick that you hear in most DOHC honda engines. Both of my integras make that sound. now he could also mean that there is something like the sound I have explained but to the point where it doesn't sound as it should. Just my guess. More info on the sound would help. a vid even.
Yea I know theres diffirent terminology/phrases between each other...

When I say "camy", what he (the guy that fixed it) meant was the camshafts being worn a bit, and not the valves (lifters). The thing is, any 4 cylinder engine I've had (car wise) has never sounded like this, or this "tick tick" that 99si talks about. Its slightly quieter since its second oil change in 300 mls but not alot, hence I thought at the mileage (175k) the valves would either need adjusted and/or replaced, but maybe not.

dontknow

5+ Year Member
I'll try and get a vid today and see what you/anyone thinks, not holding my breath though, as the response so far isnt good.

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
well that ticking sound is normal in b-series engines, however theres no harm is adjusting your valves anyway

juxstapo

5+ Year Member
Yea I know theres diffirent terminology/phrases between each other...

When I say "camy", what he (the guy that fixed it) meant was the camshafts being worn a bit, and not the valves (lifters). The thing is, any 4 cylinder engine I've had (car wise) has never sounded like this, or this "tick tick" that 99si talks about. Its slightly quieter since its second oil change in 300 mls but not alot, hence I thought at the mileage (175k) the valves would either need adjusted and/or replaced, but maybe not.
Gah, Scary thought with the oil changes that close together. (Using synthetic?)

close to 180k is a lot of miles, but not really "last legs" for a Honda (my sister has a '92 Accord going strong at 240k). Unless a previous owner was really lax with the oil changes.

Just benchracing, but if you wind up replacing the valve train anyhoo, may as well bump up perf with some aftermarket go fast bits eh?

and I apologize for hijacking your thread without being helpful at all. :(