5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Washington man streams his anger -- but still must pay traffic ticket
by Aimee Green, The Oregonian
Tuesday March 24, 2009, 7:58 PM

No one likes a speeding ticket.

But 47-year-old Michael Harold Lynch, of Bellevue, Wash., apparently took his anger to a new level when he emptied $206 in small change into a plastic bag, soaking it in urine and mailing it to the payments division of the Multnomah County courthouse. Mailroom staff handed over the box -- and the angry letter that accompanied it -- to a sheriff's sergeant.

"It was nasty. It reeked," said Sgt. Phil Anderchuk.

Anderchuk called a U.S. postal inspector to see if federal law had been broken, and learned that it's not against the law to mail a box of bodily fluids, as long as it's properly packed and doesn't emit an obnoxious odor. (Court staff could only smell the contents once they opened the package).

So the sergeant sealed up the box and mailed it back to Lynch -- with $27.30 postage due if Lynch wanted his change back.

Lynch had been ticketed by Portland police Officer Chris Cass last October for driving 19 mph over the posted 35 mph speed limit in a construction zone along Southeast McLoughlin Boulevard near the Ross Island Bridge. Lynch apparently ignored the ticket and missed a court date in which he could have shown up to fight the ticket or argued his case to the judge in a letter. He racked up an extra $65 in fees.

Then, the box showed up.

In explaining why the courthouse couldn't accept Lynch's payment, the sergeant wrote that "the pile of coins emitted a strong, pungent odor of stale urine. This was very concerning to me."

Anderchuk reminded Lynch he still owed for the ticket.

"I encourage you to submit your payment in a more traditional form," he wrote in a January letter. He told Lynch to expect a visit from a postal inspector, presumably to talk about how close he came to violating federal law.

Lynch apparently got the message, because a few weeks later a check arrived. But it was made out to the wrong agency. Courthouse staff sent it back. In February, a new check arrived, but this time it was made out for the wrong amount: $206, which didn't account for $65 in penalties for arriving late. Last week, the state turned Lynch's case over to a collection agency.

The Oregonian could not reach Lynch for comment.

But Lynch clearly has lost his fight.

Which goes to show, one court manager says, that there are better ways to express one's distaste for a speeding ticket. Such as writing a letter to the judge, since showing up in court would have involved a 175-mile drive for Lynch, said Eric Hall, who oversees the mailroom where ticketed drivers send their payments. Hall said receiving letters -- or even checks -- laced with obscenities is "a common daily occurence."

Other drivers, who come in person, occasionally try to pay their fines with jars full of change. But that is time consuming for staff and forces longer waits for other ticket payers, so Hall's office limits the form of payment to no more than 25 pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters and half dollars.

"People do get really worked up," Hall said.

But, said Hall, a box full of coins and urine is a first in his years on the job.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lol!

253eg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
f**king Washingtonians

kaepos

I'm a Registered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
He was pissed that he was doing 54 in a 35 and got caught? :roll:

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They have no right to not accept his first payment as gross as it was. They're a state agency and that was federally produced money, they can't reject it because it's not convenient to count it out.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
They have no right to not accept his first payment as gross as it was. They're a state agency and that was federally produced money, they can't reject it because it's not convenient to count it out.
That's what I was thinking. I'd do it all over again with the right amount.

253eg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I think its the fact that he pissed on it. I'd personally would have had the post master fine him.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I think its the fact that he pissed on it. I'd personally would have had the post master fine him.
For what? He didn't do anything illegal. If he pissed on it they can still clean it.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I don't understand why they didn't accept it either. It's still money, in the right amount, and nothing was illegal. They were just too lazy or no one wanted to put the gloves on to clean it.

J_Uhrig87

bestofbothworlds
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I work at a bank, and do a courts deposits, I've accepted a deposit of over a hundred dollars in all change, we did the deposit but it is pretty rediculous. gave me something to do on a slow day. it is pretty retarded that they didn't take it, they could have just dumped it into a sink with soap and water and it'd be all good.
I heard a story of a guy going to the mint and getting 30K in rolled boxed pennies. (boxes of pennies come in $25) and put them into a cargo van drove to a car dealership and told the sales agent he had 30 grand in cash and wanted to buy a car, found a car he wanted and when the sales agent asked him about his payment he walked the guy to his van and showed him all the pennies, and they said they couldn't accept it as a payment form.
"Coin is minted by the US Treasury making it a legal Medium of Exhange" that was taken directly out of my Book for one of my classes I took for the bank I work for.
If I were the guy, I would have kept sending the piss soaked coin. they say he was close to breaking the law, but he never actually did.

253eg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
For what? He didn't do anything illegal. If he pissed on it they can still clean it.
Its a health and safety issue. If they kept the coins and counter had a high sensitivity to the ammonia in the urine they could have health issues, mainly respiratory. He/she could also develop a rash from handling the coins or even box, if it leaked onto the cardboard, when handled. Not to mention anyone else at the sorting facilities for the post office.

Some of you probably don't care cause you aren't in the shipping industry, but there are rules and regulations on what can and can't be shipping. Coins that have been pissed on are gonna be considered hazardous due to the ammonia in the urine, even in small amounts.

And, lets not forget that we are adults and doing something like that is very immature. The box of coins alone would have given the court an idea of how he felt.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
JDMChula sent me a box of her piss soaked panties... :(

roaddogg3034

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Its a health and safety issue. If they kept the coins and counter had a high sensitivity to the ammonia in the urine they could have health issues, mainly respiratory. He/she could also develop a rash from handling the coins or even box, if it leaked onto the cardboard, when handled. Not to mention anyone else at the sorting facilities for the post office.

Some of you probably don't care cause you aren't in the shipping industry, but there are rules and regulations on what can and can't be shipping. Coins that have been pissed on are gonna be considered hazardous due to the ammonia in the urine, even in small amounts.

And, lets not forget that we are adults and doing something like that is very immature. The box of coins alone would have given the court an idea of how he felt.
yes there are rules and regulations. a sealed bag of piss is legal to ship, and all federal money is acceptable payment. so according to the rules and regulations, his first payment should have been accepted. and he should sue them for fining him with no just cause.

Silver Bullet

6 spd = titis
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im pissing in a bag as i typed this and im going to send it to Danks mom