wastegate problem

guwakjai010

Dr Tai tai
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have a 38 mm wastegate wit 15psi spring and the wastegate woul dkeep opening when i hit full boost... i changed boost controller and it does the same and now the boost controller doesn't even do anything turn it all the way down or up i'm still hitting 27 psi... all i care is that the wastegate keeps opening and its slowing me down causing a big lag

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
do you have the controller hooked up right?
teh waste gate is supposed to open when you reach full both

baron340

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sounds like the boost controller is hooked to the wrong vac port on the wastegate. is it manual or electronic?

guwakjai010

Dr Tai tai
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wastegate is hooked up to the lower vacuum port to the Manual boost controller and boost controller to intake manifold...
wat happens is like it won't hold boost.... i would hit 27psi then drop to about 22-24 then back uup to 27 and over and over again.... it just goes pop pop pop pop.. especially in 4th and 5th gear...

guwakjai010

Dr Tai tai
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
an i do have it hooked up right... theres only the two port and one says wastegate so that goes to the wastegate

worm

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
could it be that you're trying to bleed off too much boost? 12psi through a little hose. You could always try a higher rated spring in the WG. I'm running 20psi with a 7-9psi spring and my boost isnt steady either.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
im a little confused. you have a 15psi spring but youre hitting 27psi of boost?

if that's the case id say you need a larger wastegate or a better manifold b/c yours might be biased toward the turbo

guwakjai010

Dr Tai tai
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have a turbo XS boost controller wit fine adjustments...
i read somewhere if i leave the vacuum hose off ii would hit double ur wg spring psi...
is that tru? ifi t steadys off... it would be fine with me... i never beat on my car, i have a 3 bar map and map tuned to 30psi....

AliasNeo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
could it be that you're trying to bleed off too much boost? 12psi through a little hose. You could always try a higher rated spring in the WG. I'm running 20psi with a 7-9psi spring and my boost isnt steady either.
thats not a good idea you shouldnt go more than double the spring rate. get a spring rated at say 14lbs and go from there.

LS1Bait

LS1s love me.
5+ Year Member
i have a turbo XS boost controller wit fine adjustments...
i read somewhere if i leave the vacuum hose off ii would hit double ur wg spring psi...
is that tru? ifi t steadys off... it would be fine with me... i never beat on my car, i have a 3 bar map and map tuned to 30psi....
Yup.

Vacuum source to bottom WG nipple = Spring rate psi

Vacuum source unplugged = double spring rate psi

Vacuum source to top WG nipple = double of what it would be unplugged (IIRC...dont quote me though)

guwakjai010

Dr Tai tai
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have another spring... i forget how many lbs and wat brand.... got it off my friend who took it off his evo because he needed a 35psi spring.... might try that spring later and see if its stronger

guwakjai010

Dr Tai tai
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
35psi springs exist?!

OMFG I've been missing out.
thats what he says.... lol i really don't kno if the spring exist but i've been his evo hit 33psi and its amazing... right now it is estimated to be arond 700whp and in the spring, changing the turbo and aiming for 1000whp

rwlsvtec_03

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Same thing happened with my hatch. All i had to do was replace a few clamps and t-fittings along with a better boost controller and it fixed my problem.

guwakjai010

Dr Tai tai
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Same thing happened with my hatch. All i had to do was replace a few clamps and t-fittings along with a better boost controller and it fixed my problem.
i use to use a ebay BC.... and the funny thing about that was... if i turn it down.. it would be spring rate, if i turn it just alil or max, it would add 11 lbs to the WG spring... it wasn't steady then either... i might either try to leave the vacuum hose off (just to see wat it does) and/or replace it with a stronger spring wit the MBC and see wat happens