Water in Hatch area

supermonkeyball

5+ Year Member
Drivers side hatch is getting water in it some how, looked at all gaskets all look perfect, looked at window, no signs, water pools under the carpet and the fake wood under that.
Any ideas?

Thanks alot.

jason e-ek4

5+ Year Member
when it rains for a while (2 to 3 days), i usually find a bit of water in the hatch of my car. it looks as if it's coming through by the passenger side tailight (your driver's side). btw, only the left side gets wet. i'd have to say that your problem is either a leaky tailight, the hatch weatherstrip or a faulty sunroof drain tube.

lokalmotive

5+ Year Member
My 96 had some of the same things happen. Only when it rained hard for a couple days like stated ^. I don't know what it looks like now that I haven't driven the car in about a year and a half while it's been torn down but I think it's just something to do with weather stripping somewhere. Water has a funny way of finding the smallest place to get into.

supermonkeyball

5+ Year Member
The guy at autozone said there is a flap that releases air pressure when you close the hatch, that is usually the cause of the water getting in if it is worn or missing.

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
check around the taillight the boot/rubber gasket majiggy gets worn and lets water in after many years

Mike1ch

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The guy at autozone said there is a flap that releases air pressure when you close the hatch, that is usually the cause of the water getting in if it is worn or missing.
I've had my hatch completely apart, even without a window and i never saw any flap

FLAteam

5+ Year Member
damn, i checked today and i also had about a cup of water in my hatch under the spare tire!

supermonkeyball

5+ Year Member
damn, i checked today and i also had about a cup of water in my hatch under the spare tire!

Amazing 2 honda civic hatchbacks, both 97, both in Central Florida have at least 2 of the same problems.
Water in hatch, AC control problem.

Do you have the squeaky noise coming from rear when going over bumps, potholes, speed bumps?

If you say you do, we will both go to a honda dealer at the same time.

roaddogg3034

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the only way to find where the water is leaking is to get a friend to spray it with water while your in the back watching everything. i did it. and it was coming from around the taillight.

Zach-R

SOHC powa!!!
5+ Year Member
to my knowledge the tailight gaskets is a common problem in the 96+ hb's just go to dealer and order new gaskets.