water pipes frozen...what should i do??

king_mo

5+ Year Member
hi all.

i didnt put anti-freeze in, now all the inside of the rad pipes are ice.

i havnt started the car.

should i flush the whole thing..?

or...?

any help appreciated

Civic98Talon94

downshifting to 5th gear
5+ Year Member
yeah drain and flush the whole system...and if the hoses are frozen, then the water left in the block is frozen, as well...let in thaw out and drain it also...hopefully the frozen water in the block didn't expand enough to cause the head or block to crack...good luck, and keep us informed...

RonJ

Banned
Never use straight water in the cooling system. Never. In your cooling system, coolant provides three very important benefits over water. It has chemical additives that (1) prevent engine corrosion and it not only (2) raises the boiling point but also (3) decreases the freezing point.

Concerning the OP's problem, when water freezes to form ice, it expands with a force capable of breaking rock and bending metal. Therefore, the main concern is possible damage that could occur if ice formed inside the radiator or engine.

Last edited:

AllStockHatch

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well since it already froze. Just get it in a shop or building and let it thaw out. Seen what all damage is done after you replace with coolant antifreeze(its called that for a reason) and started. Good luck.

king_mo

5+ Year Member
thanks for the help guys.

ill be flushing it later today (daylight)

i dont think theres going to be any block damage because the ice in the pipes werent hard, i crushed it with my thumb and forefinger...

oh and how do i get the ice out of the block..? (if any)

king_mo

5+ Year Member
flushed the radiator but couldnt get the block bolt off to drain block.

poured in the anti-freeze while the car was running.

now the car is overheating, the fans not on (and its not jammed)

i thought the anti-freeze is supposed to go down and i top up with water, but it didnt go down much, just an inch..

any ideas...?????

RonJ

Banned
Top the radiator and reservoir off with coolant and then bleed the system of trapped air. The latter is done by idling the engine with the radiator cap loose and the heater (not blower) set to max until the fan turns on twice. Having the front end higher than rear and prebleeding from the bleed bolt (if you have one) near the upper radiator hose will also help.

king_mo

5+ Year Member
oh fak! i didnt put anything in the radiator!!

i just filled up the reservoir!

damn! im stupid.

ill do it properly later, and keep you posted.

RonJ

Banned
oh fak! i didnt put anything in the radiator!!

i just filled up the reservoir!

damn! im stupid.

ill do it properly later, and keep you posted.
When the radiator has been filled, bleed the cooling system as I described in post #8.

ChiefRealHard

5+ Year Member
i had this problem yesterday as well... once everything was put back together my engine didnt overheat but there was smoke/steam coming from the radiator... i didnt notice anything leaking, does this mean i need a new radiator?

king_mo

5+ Year Member
alright mates.

i put anti-freeze and water in the radiator, then filled up reservoir tank to MAX.

the car is fine now, doesnt overheat at all and fan comes on as usual but i also noticed smoke coming from the rad..... but no leaks...???

matt96ex

3 pedals ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You probably have excess coolant being burned off. Maybe you spilled some, that's my guess.

king_mo

5+ Year Member
thanks for help peoples.

true. i did spill a little.

there wasnt any smoke/steam today.

but a weird thing, yesterday the reservoir tank was filled to an inch Above the MAX (checked when i parked it up)

and this morning just before i started it, it was an inch Below the MAX...

...?

think its leaking..?

RonJ

Banned
It's normal for the coolant level to rise when the engine is hot and fall when the engine is cold.