Water pump replacement gone wrong..

awright3331

i have a stock 1.5L in my civic lx. We recently did a water pump which is part of the timing belt pullys on this motor. To get the water pump we had to slip the timing belt off. We have tried setting the #1 piston at top dead center, it would not fire up. We were told that the timing was 180 off. Well after testing that, the engine will not fire up. We are very stressed about the situation, my plugs and wires are new. (plugs are bosch platinum dual fire) We would like to know what we need to do.

What I myself have noticed:
My cam gear has lines on it
My bottom timing belt cover has bevels on it

I would personally like to know the following
Which way should i be turning the cam gear
and which way should i be turning the crank shaft pulley

ANY AND ALL HELP APPRICIATED

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
I don't have a manual for a 4th gen or else I would post some diagrams. Basically you want to match your timing marks (the lines you said you noticed) and line them up with the marks on the block or head. Find RonJ on here and PM him, he has the diagrams you need and can explain it.

RonJ

Banned
Which way should i be turning the cam gear
and which way should i be turning the crank shaft pulley
Why are you asking these^ questions?

When the timing belt has been installed, only turn the crank pulley counterclockwise to check the mechanical timing.

Also post pictures of the lines (TDC1?) on the cam pulley and the bevels (pointer?) on the cover.

With the timing belt installed, is there bright white spark at all 4 spark plugs? Does the fuel pump prime? Are the spark plugs installed in the correct firing order on the distributor cap?

awright3331

Thanks for the diagram ron. so the cam gear and crankshaft should both be at TDC1 when the timing belt is slipped on the up symbol on the cam pulley should be UP and the two lines should be aligned to the head.

RonJ

Banned
Thanks for the diagram ron. so the cam gear and crankshaft should both be at TDC1 when the timing belt is slipped on the up symbol on the cam pulley should be UP and the two lines should be aligned to the head.
Yes, then rotate the crank pulley counterclockwise a couple of revolutions to verify that the mechanical timing has remained correct.

What engine do you have? Is it a D15b2?

awright3331

Yes, then rotate the crank pulley counterclockwise a couple of revolutions to verify that the mechanical timing has remained correct.

What engine do you have? Is it a D15b2?
Im trying to locate that information. I believe it is. Its the stock 1.5 16 valve

awright3331

I think the timing belt is bad. As we have found the correct timing. The belt is $26.99 and im probably gonna buy it tomorrow

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
If its the original or just really old, it could be stretched, but not enough to keep it from firing. Seems like you have a different problem if you are 100% sure the timing marks are lined up correctly.

awright3331

Well theres part of it ripped. But the belt still slides on perfectly. So im 100% sure they line up. weve got it to try to fire but it didnt .

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
If its ripped then definitely replace it. After that you will have to go into some diagnostics for the fuel and ignition systems. The timing isn't your problem now. To check the accuracy of the mechanical timing do a compression test.

RonJ

Banned
Post pictures of the cam and crank at TDC1.

Also answer these questions:

With the timing belt installed, is there bright white spark at all 4 spark plugs? Does the fuel pump prime? Are the spark plugs installed in the correct firing order on the distributor cap?

awright3331

When we set the timing the lines on the cam gear/pulley at the top of the block line up with the head of the #1 cylinder. Since we cannot see the marks on the crank pulley we use the screw driver method in the #1 cylinder to set it at tdc. When the screwdriver comes all the way up we stop turning. From there we slide the timing belt on and bump the ignition to make sure it will turn over. We reset back to tdc and replace the timing cover and valve cover. We have a really bad rip on the timing belt, and each time it turns over it jumps out of time. We have theorized that the timing belt NEEDS to be replaced. We are going to look at the belt within the next 4 hours and inspect it completely. We want to believe that its not a major issue just a timing belt. We have checked the distributor.. If it helps anyone the timing at the distributor HAS BEEN ADVANCED I did this the day i bought the car on February 4th the restrictor plate is not there (and for those of you who dont know there IS a restrictor plate in these vehicles that when removed allow the engine to breath more my cheap method of forced induction) I will be posting pics later. We hope that instead of some other problem its just the timing belt skipping a few teeth.

awright3331

After a few hours of diagnostics, we have determined that there is/are bent valves due to honeys(my honda) interference motor and trying to start it with it out of time.