Weak Brakes on my 2005 SI Hatchback?

Glockem

5+ Year Member
I just bought a 2005 SI hatchback 5-speed, and I am putting it through some paces. it has 21k miles on it, and it is completely stock. I am noticing that the brakes are really weak. it has the stock 4-wheels discs, but high speed braking and low speed in town braking it seems to be very weak.

Is this a normal thing for these cars, or do you think I may have a problem?

jonathan2006

D17A2 User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
if its new id take it back to the dealer and have them fix it

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
get an inspection, unless you're used to driving lambos and ferrari's im sure nothing wrong.

falcon

uber noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
how hard are you pushing your car? what are you comparing your car to?

i'm still babying mine, mostly because i don't have access to a track or empty lot... plus i know that its weak so i don't dare to test it's limits.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
if its new id take it back to the dealer and have them fix it
agreed, however being as i work for a dealer, this would be the first complaint that i have ever heard of since they came out with the 5th gen SI on brakes.

Glockem

5+ Year Member
I guess I am comparing my brakes to the brakes on my track bike with Brembo calipers and rotors. ;)

But seriously though, this is my first civic since I had my 1993 Civic SI HB as a kid, but now that I now how to drive better I understand braking better. I have just noticed driving this car lately that the brakes really leave much to be desired under realtively hard braking.

Do you think stainless lines Hawk SPS pads, and maybe some Powerslot rotors would be good for the car?

got_sake?

1.7 ltrs of fury!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I guess I am comparing my brakes to the brakes on my track bike with Brembo calipers and rotors. ;)

But seriously though, this is my first civic since I had my 1993 Civic SI HB as a kid, but now that I now how to drive better I understand braking better. I have just noticed driving this car lately that the brakes really leave much to be desired under realtively hard braking.

Do you think stainless lines Hawk SPS pads, and maybe some Powerslot rotors would be good for the car?
that wouldn't be a bad set up. can't go wrong with hawk pads.

Glockem

5+ Year Member
To describe the weak braking:

Lets say I am approaching a stop light that just changed to red at say 30-35mph in 3rd gear. I go to brake and it feels like the cars weight is still pushing the car instead of slowing the car down effectively. The braking system just feels weak to me, but I have nothing to compare it to.

I just finished detailing the car, and I popped the hood to inspect the brake fluid in both reservoirs. The smaller reservoir is completely black and sludgy material is in the corners. Based on this, I think I need to flush the fluid and rebleed the brakes. What type of brake fluid should I use, possibly Motul 5.1 fluid?

nyghtryder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
two words:

down shift
whats cheaper new pads or new transmission, downshifitng causes excessive wear on the transmisision.

if you like the brembo setup you had on your bike, save some money and invest a similiar setup on your civic. once you change that fluid out youll notice a significant difference. as you said above get some ss brake line, hawk pads and a rotor of your choice. it seems most people here prefer the blank brembo rotors over anything though.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
whats cheaper new pads or new transmission, downshifitng causes excessive wear on the transmisision.

if you like the brembo setup you had on your bike, save some money and invest a similiar setup on your civic. once you change that fluid out youll notice a significant difference. as you said above get some ss brake line, hawk pads and a rotor of your choice. it seems most people here prefer the blank brembo rotors over anything though.
wow, i've never heard anyone refer to downshifting as causing accessive wear, but then yet if it did then why the hell are trans designed too? And why has honda as innovative as they are found a way to increase the warranty on their manual trans since they are apparently some sort of downshifting wearage issue's out there.

Glockem

5+ Year Member
Good points.

I just ordered some ATE Super Blue to swap out the fluids in the clutch and brakes. How about the trany fluid? I heard it is good to use Redline Synthetic trany fluid.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i'd suggest either honda mtf, or your choice of 10w30 oil.

nyghtryder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i could argue the point but honestly it will take a thread of its own and i dont have the time at the moment to explain how the internals of a transmission work.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
one thing i know and heard and experienced with 7th gen civics is that the brakes are horrible!

only good thing that honda manufactured with the 7th gens are the suspension and thats about it. oh and better gas mileage.

got_sake?

1.7 ltrs of fury!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
bad fluid would definately cause some bad brake feel. as for soft stock brakes...the EM1 had shitty 60-0 stopping distance, honda was more concerned w/ brake bias than stoping distance. i've been happy with ceramic pads and oem replacement blanks...but that's just me.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
one thing i know and heard and experienced with 7th gen civics is that the brakes are horrible!

only good thing that honda manufactured with the 7th gens are the suspension and thats about it. oh and better gas mileage.
#1 the EP3 shares very little with other 7th gens.
#2 7th gen suspension is horrible, I've hated the ride in every 7th gen I've ridden in (my parents have one and several friends do as well.)

To the OP, clean out your break system and replace the fluid. Then switch in some HPS pads and you'll be happy again. (You may be able to swap in a DC5-S master cylinder to boost performance as well)

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

i could argue the point but honestly it will take a thread of its own and i dont have the time at the moment to explain how the internals of a transmission work.
:rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf:

It's called engine braking and it's completely normal and recommended. My car has 185,000 miles on it now and it's ALWAYS been engine braked. I'm the 2nd owner, my brother was the first. We both engine brake and the car has mostly been a city driven car. And guess what, the transmission is still working and fine. I've only had to fix 2nd gear because I beat the piss out of it and finally f**ked a synchro. That was about 2000 miles ago.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I never understood why Honda put 10.3" brakes on the front / 10.2" brakes on the rear on the EP3. If it wasn't under warranty, I'd say look at getting an 11.1" front setup like the 6th gen type r models.