Weak Headlights

ALLIECON

Do older Honda Civics generally have weak low beams? I have replaced the bulbs in my daughters 2002 Civic with some supposedly high end bulbs and they are still about half as bright as my Corolla. I have checked the ground wires and alternator, all look good. The brights are quite acceptable. I just can't figure this unless Honda's of this vintage have a problem.

1997EK

1997 Civic DX (EJ6)
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What bulbs did you put in? And are the headlights hazy or cloudy from the outside? Sometimes a good polish and buff is all you need. Also, have you aimed the low-beams properly?

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Are both headlights halogen oem?

RonJ

Banned
What voltage to body ground do you measure at the hot wire for the low beams at the bulb socket?

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if you buy high end bulbs from a place like auto zone they are not really that bight. i have gotten my extremely bright bulbs from online and they light up the street well, except if you go to bright, they could melts the wires they are connected too. i wont do that again. not sure how high you could go before they create issues.

ALLIECON

Recall

I finally found something to explain my problem. There was a recall back in 2004 for 2002 civic's. If anybody else is having this problem or has an 02 civic that has not been repaired, here are all the details:

2002 Honda CIVIC Recall ID from NHTSA: 04V086000
Auto Recall Date: 02/24/2004
Vehicle Component: EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HEADLIGHTS
Estimated Vehicles Affected: 440000
2002 HONDA CIVIC Defect Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THE LOW-BEAM TERMINAL ON THE HEAD LIGHT WIRE HARNESS CAN OVERHEAT AND COULD CAUSE THE LOW BEAMS TO FAIL WITHOUT WARNING.
Defect Consequence:
AN UNEXPECTED LOSS OF LOW BEAMS COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE HEAD LIGHT SWITCH AND COUPLER FOR SIGNS OF HEAT DAMAGE. IF HEAT DAMAGE IS PRESENT, THE DEALER WILL REPLACE THE SWITCH AND COUPLER. IF NO HEAT DAMAGE IS PRESENT, THE DEALER WILL REPLACE THE HEAD LIGHT SWITCH AND ONE MATING PIN IN THE COUPLER. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON APRIL 5, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009.
Notes: HONDA (AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.),

1997EK

1997 Civic DX (EJ6)
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That recall seems to be for complete headlight failure, not dim lights. It's possible your alternator and battery are not providing sufficient power to the electrical components in the car. I'd recommend having your battery/alternator and the rest of the electrical system checked.

ALLIECON

Fixed

My car just missed the recall but reading about the symptoms I decided to change out the headlight switch. The low beams immediately got 50% brighter. When it comes to headlights, Honda seems to have issues. I read where they recently recalled some Fits for possible bad headlight wiring.