weird braking after brake replacement

LXDriver

More HP is always good
5+ Year Member
So it was time to change my brakes and so I did, I took the front disks to get resurfaced/turned, and put the new brakes back on with disk brake quit liquid and the next day I checked the disks and they look weird, the inner half of the disk (center to mid disk) is still blank just like when I picked up the disks, the outer half is already marked by the gripping pads so I dont know why that happens. Also when braking from like 15mph and under, the car shakes and with a sudden brake (2mph or less) the front passenger corner dives first than the driver's, anybody have any advice or ideas why this is happening? The car is a 2000 lx sedan. I bled the drums n disks when I finished and a lot of bubbles came out. Thanks. Any ideas as to why this might be happening???
PICS of what i mean:

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Did you bleed your brakes? And did you break in your brake pads after you installed them?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
In what order did you bleed the corners? It sounds like you still have air in the lines. You should bleed until you get straight fluid. Having air in the lines can affect the amount of fluid/pressure at each wheel, providing uneven braking.

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
eaither air in the system or a sticking caliper

LXDriver

More HP is always good
5+ Year Member
Did you bleed your brakes? And did you break in your brake pads after you installed them?
Yeah I did bled them but I didnt break them in, usually I just replace them n they're good, my dad's car brakes where fine after I replaced them and I used the same procedure, straight replacing. How would I break them in?

In what order did you bleed the corners? It sounds like you still have air in the lines. You should bleed until you get straight fluid. Having air in the lines can affect the amount of fluid/pressure at each wheel, providing uneven braking.
I did RP, FD, RD, FP and a lot of air bubbles came out but after three bleedings per wheel, no more bubbles came out

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah I did bled them but I didnt break them in, usually I just replace them n they're good, my dad's car brakes where fine after I replaced them and I used the same procedure, straight replacing. How would I break them in?
What I've always done is drive slow (like 10mph) and make slow stops. Do this a couple times then speed up to like 20-25 mph and gradually brake, then slam on the brakes once or twice. Not gnarly hard, just hard enough. Then do a couple more regular brakes just to make sure they feel alright.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I did RP, FD, RD, FP and a lot of air bubbles came out but after three bleedings per wheel, no more bubbles came out
I don't know how true it is but I've read you're supposed to start at the wheel farthest from the MC. So passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front, driver front.

I would re-bleed to make sure all the air is out.

civic21911

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I don't know how true it is but I've read you're supposed to start at the wheel farthest from the MC. So passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front, driver front.

I would re-bleed to make sure all the air is out.
This is the right way to bleed the brakes you start the furthest away and work your way back as for a sticking caliper i would check and make sure both pistons in the caliper compress fine then make sure your slide pins are all lubed up and free then see how uneven the pad wear.

serversurfer

Actually, the sequence used by the OP is the correct sequence for a 5G Civic. The manual should list the correct bleed order for a given car.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So it was time to change my brakes and so I did, I took the front disks to get resurfaced/turned, and put the new brakes back on with disk brake quit liquid and the next day I checked the disks and they look weird, the inner half of the disk (center to mid disk) is still blank just like when I picked up the disks, the outer half is already marked by the gripping pads so I dont know why that happens. Also when braking from like 15mph and under, the car shakes and with a sudden brake (2mph or less) the front passenger corner dives first than the driver's, anybody have any advice or ideas why this is happening? The car is a 2000 lx sedan. I bled the drums n disks when I finished and a lot of bubbles came out. Thanks. Any ideas as to why this might be happening???
PICS of what i mean:
Are you saying you put the "quite liquid" ON the PADS themselves? Or on the backings and shims? If you put them on the pads, it could ruin them.

Did you bed the brake pads in after installing? If not, read this:
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/bed-in-theory-definitions-and-procedures/brake-pad-bed-in

If those were done correctly, there's a chance your rotors weren't resurfaced properly or shouldn't have been resurfaced at all. Judging by the pictures, it almost looks that way. The inner half of the rotors look like they may have been really worn before resurfacing. Some rotors cannot be resurfaced and you just need to replace them.