Weird knocking noise when turning

packers#1

I finally really noticed this today. Whenever I take a right turn, there's a knocking in the right driver's tire area, like something's hitting the wheel or the metal around there (like a ba-bang....ba-bang...ba-bang, but more of a clunking, like something's rolling). It starts mid-turn and lasts a couple seconds after i head straight, then nothing. I also don't think it happens when i turn left, only right. I haven't looked under the car because we have no jackstands and I haven't had a chance to get the car up on the tire stands my dad has. So does anyone have any ideas, just off the top of your head, of what it could be? If not, what're some key things to check? thanks!

GoFast

5+ Year Member
Sounds like a bad CV joint to me.

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what^^ he said sounds like a bad passenger side cv axle. time to get it replaced, new they are like 60 bucks from o'riley auto parts

packers#1

Sounds like a bad CV joint to me.
That was my guess; what would be the signs of a bad cv joint if i go under the car and look? I'm guessing cracked boot and all that? (I saw a replacement job on a cv joint on two guys garage on SPEED).
EDIT: passenger side? but i hear it knocking on the driver's side; when I';m in the driver's seat, I can hear it right in front of me, not off to the right. or is it a diff in how the sound is transmitted in the car?

GoFast

5+ Year Member
Yeah, cracked cv boots are a good indication that it is bad or going bad, also if the sound is comming from the drivers side than its probably the left axle (driver side) making the noise.

packers#1

alright, thanks guys, I'll be checking Saturday, headed out of town today (Civic isn't being driven though, so no worries)

bigL562

I just found out I have the same issue going on. Mine is on the passenger side. someone told me I might as well replace both sides now so I don't have to deal with it later.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I just found out I have the same issue going on. Mine is on the passenger side. someone told me I might as well replace both sides now so I don't have to deal with it later.
Probably smart, it's been my experience that once one goes, the other is soon to follow.

packers#1

yeah, that's what I'll probably do; while you've got all the tools out, there really isn't a good reason not to, and then it's one less thing to worry about

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yep. Replace both.
And if the boot is bad and all the grease is gone, ur gonna need a new axle!