1. New Forum Software:
    We have finally upgraded the forum software due to it being so outdated. If you are having any issues with new forum please let us know. Please post any issues in this thread http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/clubcivic-com-forum-upgrade.227221/

Weird noise when backing up

Discussion in 'Tech Archive (No Posting)' started by KTNewEraCiviC, May 20, 2010.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. KTNewEraCiviC

KTNewEraCiviC New Member

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  2. KTNewEraCiviC

KTNewEraCiviC New Member

Don't know how else I can explain it. When I reverse there is a weird humming type of noise...nothing else to it

3. ekracer_83

ekracer_83 hardcore rice Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

its normal unless something is wrong. otherwise, its in perfectly working condition.

4. projektej8

projektej8 ------------------------- Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

Its because the reverse gear is a spur gear with strait teeth and the rest are helical with curved teeth. spur gears are noisy. perfectly normal

5. KTNewEraCiviC

KTNewEraCiviC New Member

ok cool. new to civics so i dont know all the normal stuff lol =)

6. KTNewEraCiviC

KTNewEraCiviC New Member

now there is a noise while driving that stops when my brakes are applied... here is a video...idk if you can hear it that well...i'll try and get a better video and one of the noise that is being made when backing up...it sounds like it is coming from the front

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ8MTPFVL10

7. KTNewEraCiviC

KTNewEraCiviC New Member

8. OpenRoad

OpenRoad New Member

Did you ever figure this out? I have the exact noises, forward and reverse, which does not always happen. 50k miles on interstate only, bought the car new and 98% of the miles are interstate, brakes are like new since they get little use.

Someone suggested CV joint issue.

9. OpenRoad

OpenRoad New Member

Has nothing to do with the normal mini-whine from reversing... My Civic just started doing this a few days ago, after 18 months in service.