were did my oil go??

brios86

5+ Year Member
i recently change my gasket cuase i thougth i had a oil leak. but no im still loosing oil. i believe im burning oil... i dont see no smoke or anything like that what can be the cause or how can i check if im really burning oil?

Honda9206

Working on the 92 DX
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Usually when you burn oil it will look very black or smell burnt.

immajackuup

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The Dizzyy

immajackuup

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ur on da money there... it is the dizzy.... i was 2 bussy looking under the car then just rigth in front of me...
same when i was trying to find the leak.I thought it was my crank seal but as i clean around the dizzy and waited for couple days. after couple days passed i recheck the spot where i clean and bam!!!! found where the leak came from. the leak from the dizzy tend to run down under the tranny casing.

immajackuup

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ur on da money there... it is the dizzy.... i was 2 bussy looking under the car then just rigth in front of me...
same when i was trying to find the leak.I thought it was my crank seal but as i clean around the dizzy and waited for couple days. after couple days passed i recheck the spot where i clean and bam!!!! found where the leak came from. the leak from the dizzy tend to run down under the tranny casing.

if it was the crank seal u would be leaking puddle.

Beej

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you guys are lucky, I'm losing a quart of oil a week and I can't figure out why. I just had a valve job done and replaced every gasket and seal on the top end, as well as the crank seal. The whole project cost more than $800 and countless hours, and still losing a quarter of a quart of oil a day. No leaks and nothing showing in the exhaust.

immajackuup

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you guys are lucky, I'm losing a quart of oil a week and I can't figure out why. I just had a valve job done and replaced every gasket and seal on the top end, as well as the crank seal. The whole project cost more than $800 and countless hours, and still losing a quarter of a quart of oil a day. No leaks and nothing showing in the exhaust.
that's strange,maybe u're burning oil. as in bad piston ring.

95civicvx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
To everyone who has oil loss and does not know where it is going. The most likely spots for leaks are often the neglected seals that no one changes. For instance, Distributor o-ring, Camshaft oil seal, Front Crankshaft oil seal, Rear crankshaft oil seal, and vtec to block o-ring.

To beej:
Did you replace the rear crankshaft seal, distributor o-ring, and vtec to block o-ring if applicable?

brios86

5+ Year Member
To everyone who has oil loss and does not know where it is going. The most likely spots for leaks are often the neglected seals that no one changes. For instance, Distributor o-ring, Camshaft oil seal, Front Crankshaft oil seal, Rear crankshaft oil seal, and vtec to block o-ring.

To beej:
Did you replace the rear crankshaft seal, distributor o-ring, and vtec to block o-ring if applicable?
very true... i am going to check mines

Beej

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
To beej:
replaced the crankshaft seal next to the crank pulley so I'm guessing that's front, replaced dist ring, and if vtec ring was leaking I'd know about it.

I'm can't do the rear crank ring unless I get into the tranny right.?

also, how do you leak oil without seeing any of the drips on the ground? when pressure is in the system when you're driving or what? wouldn't there still be some wetness somewhere on the engine?