what can I use to prevent rust on rims?

dsprimal

Banned
will aluminum rims rust? unfortunately the alignment shop scuffed up a little portion of one of my rims and its pouring out right now. just worried rust will begin and eat away and spread over time. any thoughts on prevention?

thank you

b16lewis

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Aluminum will not rust. Corrode yes rust no.

dsprimal

Banned
Aluminum will not rust. Corrode yes rust no.
thanks! you think if I applied a small amount of paint to the area would be good enough to prevent corrosion? or is there a process. the scuff mark is so minimal idk how quickly it would take to start corroding

b16lewis

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Take a picture to better help you

dsprimal

Banned
wouldn't the shop be liable for that? did u take the problem up with them yet?
I did, they said the scratch came from rota themselves when they were made....cause the mark made on it looked "machined". In which I blamed it on the mounting machine cause the "machined" markings were made perfectly along the very edge of the lip. The guy showed me the machine and how it has plastic feet so there is no possible way of it scratching metal. In my mind I called B/S but they stood by their statement and refused to possibly agree that it was their mounting machine.

So I spoke my piece and got nothing from it. I'm just glad these arent 4 grand Works or Volks......sweet baby jesus could you imagine that??

I got such high recommendations to go to this alignment shop too. /sigh guess you can't get peace of mind wherever you go!!!!

Trekk

Registered VIP
They didnt do that putting the tires on, if they just mounted them. That plastic is non marring plastic is wont scratch at all. Most time when damage happens it is from removing tires.

I mount CCW's and Volks all the time and never have a problem.

gugiey

Registered VIP
I did, they said the scratch came from rota themselves when they were made....cause the mark made on it looked "machined". In which I blamed it on the mounting machine cause the "machined" markings were made perfectly along the very edge of the lip. The guy showed me the machine and how it has plastic feet so there is no possible way of it scratching metal. In my mind I called B/S but they stood by their statement and refused to possibly agree that it was their mounting machine.

So I spoke my piece and got nothing from it. I'm just glad these arent 4 grand Works or Volks......sweet baby jesus could you imagine that??

I got such high recommendations to go to this alignment shop too. /sigh guess you can't get peace of mind wherever you go!!!!
those feet are garbage .
it was obviously the shop I'f it wasn't there before you took it in .
I work at a dealership with a machine that have plastic feet and it's still possible to scratch rims
good thing we dont deal with many aftermarket rims .

dsprimal

Banned
those feet are garbage .
I work at a dealership with a machine that have plastic feet and it's still possible to scratch rims
yeah, kinda bummed out about it.....but hey. was destined to get scuffed sooner or later. I guess they killed the whole "keep my rims as fresh as possible for as long as possible" plan reaaalllll early for me lol.

thanks for reassuring that the shop I went to are absolute liars.

scarhead92

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ya im always gonna run fakes till i buy my own mounting machine and allignment machine haha

Trekk

Registered VIP
those feet are garbage .
Lol Ive never had a problem and I mount a ton of 245/40 R19s and those don't just pop right on. Normally it's the operator not the equipment.

dsprimal

Banned
Lol Ive never had a problem and I mount a ton of 245/40 R19s and those don't just pop right on. Normally it's the operator not the equipment.
yeah I figured that. the guy who did it seemed nice but at the same time not nice enough to care enough for customer rims like as if they were his own. of course thats now how the world works. :(