What could it be?

Khafka23

I found a guy that is selling a 2002 civic extremely cheap. The problem is that the car will run for for a few miles, then will no longer accelerate. It is still running, just wont go anywhere. He says that if you shut the car off for a while and restart it it will run again. Just not very far. Anyone have any clue what its doing? Also, I have driven the car a short distance and I can hear no strange sounds, feel no strange vibrations, nor smell any strange odors. Admittedly, I have not driven it far though. It is an automatic transition. 1.7L Vtec. I think it may be a DX or LX.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
that gen is well known for bad automatic transmissions.

Khafka23

Well, that sucks cuz thats not gunna be cheap. Plus I found out the tittle has a lien. Too bad, car was in great condition otherwise.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
7th gen civics suck ass.

fronx

Ok well at least where I live they don't come vtec unless its SI, SiR or EX-R. It could also be your fuel pump. When mine was dying off it would run until it got hot. Then id have to wait for a while and start the car back up and it would be ok for a while again. Have you checked your tranny fluid?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Its not his car and it has a lien on the title so i think he has given up...

fronx

would have been a good buy if it was just the fuel pump imo lol then again if its that cheap its probably the tranny and the guy knows that and is just pretending he has no clue whats wrong with it

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ya but some people would rather buy a vehicle that runs perfectly fine and not have to fix anything...

I dont understand that concept i guess!

Khafka23

Yes, I have given up.
As for the engine. I own a 2005 civic ex custom sedan. Has a D series 1.7L engine. Its a standard tranny. Has a sunroof, the EX custom CD deck, and a spoiler. All stock. car I was looking at was debadged, but had no spoiler, no sunroof, a terrible looking deck, and gay looking rims. Even still, it had the exact same engine that mine has. So it definitely was not an EX.
And ya, everything Ive looked up says that its probably either the fuel pump, torque converter, or the transmission. All of those would have that symptom.
I dont mind at all having to fix things on a car. Hell, thats half the reason I wanted the car, so I can learn by doing. Where the problem lies is messing around with a car tittle that has a lien.
And lastly, please elaborate on why 7th gens suck. Is it because of more problems then the previous gens? Or is because there are less aftermarket parts? Or is it just preference?

emerican

Registered VIP
possible the motor was swapped a simple vin run would have told you the trim.
7th gens have a bad rep, because there is less of a market for aftermarket things for them. They are known to have alot of problems specific to that gen and alot of people dont like the way they look there is more im just summing it up here.