What do I need to do to store my 2003 Civic EX?

gwv2749

I'll be storing my 2003 Civic EX for seven months under a good quality custom fit car cover beginning in June in the parking lot where my condo in south Florida is located. There's no garage or carport. I plan to change the oil shortly before, fill the gas tank and disconnect the battery, which are things I've read are important before storing a vehicle. Does it also need to be put jack stands to protect the tires and started and run for at least 15 minutes periodically during that period? I've read conflicting opinions on this pertaining to other types of vehicles.

Thanks, Gary

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What you've already said should be good. If you can have someone run it or drive it during that period it would be nice but not absolutely necessary. I wouldn't worry about jack stands, seems like more of an opportunity for something bad to happen. I've left both my '97 Civic and my sister's 02 Civic for a couple of months without starting and never had a problem. The only other thing I can think of would be to maybe put an extra 5 lbs or so of pressure in the tires to avoid flat spots if they go down a little bit. It should be fine though, I wouldn't be too worried.

gwv2749

I suspected I wouldn't need to put my Civic up on jack stands but wanted another opinion. I'll also add additional tire pressure as you suggest. Thanks mucho!

gugiey

Registered VIP
I suspected I wouldn't need to put my Civic up on jack stands but wanted another opinion. I'll also add additional tire pressure as you suggest. Thanks mucho!
I've had my integra type r stored for the past 2 years .
only reason you put your car on stands is to protect your suspension .

and I only start mine every like 3 months and no problems .

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
why would you store a honda? i mean if your goin out of the country or army i understand, but just storing a honda just to be storing one is stupid, its a car thats meant to be driven. its not like its not like its some super rare car they only made 100 of . this isnt for op really as much as the kid with the "type r" ( i want pics )

gugiey

Registered VIP
why would you store a honda? i mean if your goin out of the country or army i understand, but just storing a honda just to be storing one is stupid, its a car thats meant to be driven. its not like its not like its some super rare car they only made 100 of . this isnt for op really as much as the kid with the "type r" ( i want pics )
well I'f you want pics ok =)

and I'm taking out of storage on sat !!! can't f**ken wait .
got more pics I'f you want .

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
why store it? I don't get it

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
only reason you put your car on stands is to protect your suspension .
Incorrect. It is because the moisture in concrete eats away rubber after time and causes horrible flat spots. Same reason that there is an old wives myth about not storing batteries on the ground. Old batteries were lined with rubber on the bottom and would deteriorate after time because of the moisture causing them to leak acid.

OP, I would take the battery out and have someone plug it into a trickle charger while it is in storage. This will keep the battery fresh and ready to go.

Also put some stabil in the tank and run it for a minute to get it through the lines. Stabil keeps the fuel from gumming up. Last thing you want is to suck up some of that gooey crap when you start it up after 7 months. Gasoline deteriorates and gums up in as little as a month and this stuff keeps it fresh and will last for something like 12 months if treated with a normal dose.

gugiey

Registered VIP
Incorrect. It is because the moisture in concrete eats away rubber after time and causes horrible flat spots. Same reason that there is an old wives myth about not storing batteries on the ground. Old batteries were lined with rubber on the bottom and would deteriorate after time because of the moisture causing them to leak acid.

OP, I would take the battery out and have someone plug it into a trickle charger while it is in storage. This will keep the battery fresh and ready to go.

Also put some stabil in the tank and run it for a minute to get it through the lines. Stabil keeps the fuel from gumming up. Last thing you want is to suck up some of that gooey crap when you start it up after 7 months. Gasoline deteriorates and gums up in as little as a month and this stuff keeps it fresh and will last for something like 12 months if treated with a normal dose.
we are both correct . leaving suspension parts for long periods of time can cause suspension to sag .

taluzer45

4 Banger Deluxe
Registered VIP
Also, I wouldnt say you would have to, but I would grease all the suspension components such as the ball joints ect to prevent anything from happening! also gugiey, anymore pics of the ITR?