what do i need to get for my civic to sound like a newer car atleast (audio)

MrHonda321

5+ Year Member
door speakers? i have a 93 hatch and my damn exhaust is so loud i cant hear my music. Is there a DIY anywhere? let me know guys thanks

kevoSi

5+ Year Member
Just buy better speakers..

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Better speakers, better head unit, quality speaker wire, sound deadening material.

Speakers: Get 3 or 4 way NAME BRAND speakers.
Head unit: Get a good brand name head unit, pioneer, sony, ect. For a decent head unit, look to spend in the 100 dollar range.
Quality speaker wire: I'd get this: http://www.monstercable.com/mpc/productPageMPC.asp?pin=3113&section=four
Sound deadening material: You'll want to do the inside of your doors most importantly. This will help from having your speakers create a "reverb" effect inside your doors.

Last edited:

eggyhustles

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Better speakers, better head unit, quality speaker wire, sound deadening material.

Head unit: Get a good brand name head unit, pioneer, sony, ect. For a decent head unit, look to spend in the 100 dollar range.
Quality speaker wire: I'd get this: http://www.monstercable.com/mpc/productPageMPC.asp?pin=3113&section=four
Sound deadening material: You'll want to do the inside of your doors most importantly. This will help from having your speakers create a "reverb" effect inside your doors.
no, no, and no...

95CivyHatch

my exhaust is pretty loud too i went with a set of alpine type s speakers in the front and honeslty that made a difference

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The reason new cars sound so good is because of the sound deadening that they do to them nowadays. I have a 98 Chevy diesel pickup and an '08 Chevy diesel pickup. The '98 is terribly loud inside both with road noise and engine noise. The '08 is extremely quiet. Road noise is very minimal as is engine noise.

There is a huge considerable difference between the 2 in sound deadening material and foam. The '98 barely has any between the carpet and the metal on the floor. The '08 has a thick layer. Same for the doors and panels. There is NOTHING behind the '98 and a thin layer of foam behind the '08.

My suggestion for cutting down the engine noise is to deaden the hell out of your interior. The door panels, the truck, the floor, everything you can. That is the only way you are going to get as quiet as a newer car.

Making your stereo louder is only going to make the stereo louder. It isn't going to quiet down the exhaust noise.

MrHonda321

5+ Year Member
The reason new cars sound so good is because of the sound deadening that they do to them nowadays. I have a 98 Chevy diesel pickup and an '08 Chevy diesel pickup. The '98 is terribly loud inside both with road noise and engine noise. The '08 is extremely quiet. Road noise is very minimal as is engine noise.

There is a huge considerable difference between the 2 in sound deadening material and foam. The '98 barely has any between the carpet and the metal on the floor. The '08 has a thick layer. Same for the doors and panels. There is NOTHING behind the '98 and a thin layer of foam behind the '08.

My suggestion for cutting down the engine noise is to deaden the hell out of your interior. The door panels, the truck, the floor, everything you can. That is the only way you are going to get as quiet as a newer car.

Making your stereo louder is only going to make the stereo louder. It isn't going to quiet down the exhaust noise.
im not worrying about the exhaust.

MrHonda321

5+ Year Member

i have a nice jvc headunit. Im looking for speakers at a few places and found some alpines for 100. Idk about the wire. And sure i can throw some foam or somethin in the doors. i really need a DIY cause i cant get the f**kin door panels off cause of the window crank... how do i get the crank off?

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Get sound deadening material, it's not that expensive.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have a 93 hatch and my damn exhaust is so loud i cant hear my music.
im not worrying about the exhaust.

How am I supposed to interpret that then? If you are complaining that the exhaust is too loud to hear the stereo over. You are worrying about it.

I was giving you advise on how to lessen the noise from outside. Spending a bunch on money on making a stereo system louder is a waste if you don't reduce the outside noises.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
get some dynomat , and put it in your doors, and on the floor of your hatch, should help out a ton