badboy4life96

D-ShIzNeT
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i was just thinking of building my d16 up
wanted to go with crower rods and je pistons but they cost around $1100

so searched on the net a bit and found this:

B16A Pistons matched with non-US Supra 1G-GTE pistons

Not too much is known about this set-up but is supposedly used widely in Thailand. This is information has been gathered from Turbopanda. He sells this set-up for about $400. This set-up will net a lower compression ratio.

If you grab a D16Y8 connecting rod, and a B16A connecting rod, and put them side-by-side, the D-series rods are toothpicks compared to the B16A rods. The Toyota pistons' height make up for the length of the rod, that's why it’s still usable in a D series engine.

D16 pistons are 75mm. 1G-GTE supra pistons are also 75mm. B16A rods are a lot stronger than D16 rods, and can handle boost way better. The rods are modified in order to accept the Toyota pistons.

Prices per Turbopanda:
-4 used pistons ($113.40) + 4 new piston rings ($46.60) + 4 connecting rods ($95) + machinework ($65) + shipping costs ($95) = $415 total.

-6 used pistons ($170) + 6 new piston rings ($70) + 4 connecting rods ($95) + machinework ($65) + shipping costs ($95) = $495 total.
(shipping prices are from Thailand)

This seems to be a good set-up as the supra pistons are forged and not cast.

i found a thread on it on the HS tuners honda forums
wat do u guys think??
will this setup hold boost fine and if yes how much hp do u think this setup can hold given that i throw in a block gaurd aswell???
any1 tried this b4???

lkailburn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
vitara pistons and scat rods. will run you about 350ish total and will leave you at 8.5-8.9:1 compression. pretty sweet deal if you ask me

badboy4life96

D-ShIzNeT
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
got any links to whr i can find a deal on the vitara pistons and scat rods???
and how much power do u think that setup can handle???

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
power handling will really determine ofn your tuning.

But the B16A rods should withstand about 8-9psi. I wouldnt go higher than that. Also PSI differs with different trubos.

Bangin' HB

surfing member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
there is a member on chb running eagle rods/vitara pistons and using uberdata. doing 10psi i think daily. other day he said he had trouble with his boost controller after some mods and found out it took 22psi for a couple runs.

he also sold a set of vitara pistons before, ~120shipped. so look around and you should find a good deal

Ravage70

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
vitaras are no good
they sit 2 low in the cylinders at tdc
also they are cast so they suck
get h beams and forged pistons

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
badboy4life96 said:
:

...B16A Pistons matched with non-US Supra 1G-GTE pistons...

I think I read in Honda Tuner or something that the valve reliefs don't match and you would have to do extra machine work that would negate the cost savings.

But I'm too lazy to look it up now