what do you think?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
That's actually not a bad deal. It's a lot of money for an 18 year old car but it's not bad considering how clean it is.

My guess is you won't be able to talk him down more than $500, if you can even talk him down at all.

krooked32

My goal was $4500. $4753 is every penny i have saved up. but that is a beautiful car! especially for being 18 years old! and only 30k miles on a swap WITHHHH ac and powersteering. it looks like it was done right.

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I say low ball him at $4200 then go up from there, let him know that the age of the car is a factor, I wouldn't go over $4400-$4500, it is nice & clean & ac is a plus in FL I should know, go for it & see what he says.

krooked32

i mean i have it all in cash too, so im sure waving 4200 in benjamins will make him wanna jump haha. im going to meet up with him on sunday afternoon, so just gotta go withdraw all my money from the bank and be prepared to lose it all. but this is a gem that i at least have to argue for.

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yea let us know, looks like a nice pick up for sure & having that kind of cash in hand & be like come on bro, I got cash in hand right now let's do this!

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
How people still manage to sell 20 year old cars for $5,000 is beyond me.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How people still manage to sell 20 year old cars for $5,000 is beyond me.
A car is only worth what people are willing to pay for it. What's more baffling is why people are still willing to pay that much for a 20 year old car.

I'm sorry, but that car is only worth around $3k (to me). I don't care how much money is put into it or what motor it has.

krooked32

yeah i guess thats true. i wish i could say that but i want it hella bad haha. maybe i can try and push him down low enough. think i should try lower?

Decipher

Registered VIP
if you show up, take out $4,000 cold hard cash and waive it under his nose, he'll part with her. Just tell him that's as much as you can afford... and be prepared to walk away if he doesn't accept. Don't worry the car will be there tomorrow, but that's besides the point because as soon as he sees that $$$ walking in the opposite direction, he'll change his mind. Just try it.

If he's adamant, just call him as soon as you get home. But WALK AWAY the first time... it usually works.

krooked32

im making a decent drive to see this car, and im willing to do it as many times as it takes to get him to budge on the price but like you said, same thing worked with my last car. show up with the stack of cash and people change pretty quick haha. Im meeting but with him this sunday so ill be on here afterward to let everyone know what happens. May have my own build thread soon!

civicfan111

Fujiwara's Tofu Shop
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if you show up, take out $4,000 cold hard cash and waive it under his nose, he'll part with her. Just tell him that's as much as you can afford... and be prepared to walk away if he doesn't accept. Don't worry the car will be there tomorrow, but that's besides the point because as soon as he sees that $$$ walking in the opposite direction, he'll change his mind. Just try it.

If he's adamant, just call him as soon as you get home. But WALK AWAY the first time... it usually works.
This works 90%of the time. It got me Hella deals on parts when I was living in Florida.

krooked32

it seems to work well down here. ive gotten quite a few items at bargain by doing that so ill give it a shot. it needs to be sunday already :(

krooked32

Just got the vin # from the seller, it was reported in an accident in 2001 in NewYork, doesnt say what kind of damage was sustained but the title is not salvage or rebuilt so it must not have been much more than a small collision. Ill be doing a full inspection on sunday to check for welds etc. The chassis also has over 230k on it. Any changed opinions on the vehicle?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

:word: this!

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Just got the vin # from the seller, it was reported in an accident in 2001 in NewYork, doesnt say what kind of damage was sustained but the title is not salvage or rebuilt so it must not have been much more than a small collision. Ill be doing a full inspection on sunday to check for welds etc. The chassis also has over 230k on it. Any changed opinions on the vehicle?
new york car, ehhhhhhhhhhhh, look under the car for rust, new york cars or horrible. and 230k on body is ALOT of miles, make sure all the bushings are good, and make sure it was lowered with legit s**t, and not some ebay s**t. or even worse cut springs, pics can make just about any car look nice, but you cant hide anything in person. iv drove a hour and half to look at a car i thought looked mint . and i get there and it was a complete junker. Go over it with a fine tooth comb and point out any flaws you see. that way you have a reason to knock his price down. if the paint looks like s**t, tell him, if you see a bunch of bootleg wires under the hood from that swap, tell him. if something inside is broke tell him, etc.. and when you test drive it, make sure you get it up to operational temp to make sure its not running hot, or leaking anything. and make sure to go thru every gear and reverse to make sure the tranny is good. also check to see if all the lights come one on the dash when you turn the key over like the check engine etc. make sure they havent took the bulb out to make it look like it has no issues. i bought a car where someone did that. pissed me off. thats my 2 cents on it.

and imo i wouldnt pay a penny over 4200.

krooked32

I've already set aside everything for sunday so i can spend the entire day going through the car. Taking my mechanic with me too so were going to do it right. I plan on inspecting every last inch of the car, especially since now i know its history. and like everything else, the more things that pile up the lower the price goes. the wait for sunday afternoon is driving me up a wall already. havent found any other cars worth my time so far so this is what my days consist of until this either falls through, turns out in my favor, or another car pops up. But with any changes, ill be sure to let everyone here know!