What else when I replace the Timing belt

BigDaddyO

5+ Year Member
So I just hit 103k miles on my totally stock 96 cx Auto and I really need to start looking into having the timing belt replaced. I know it's going to cost a lot to replace due to the work involved.

So my question is. Since the engine will be all apart to replace the timing belt, should I see about doing anything else that would prolong and enhance the engine?
I'm not a speed demon, this is my dailiy commuter so I'm not looking for speed. I'd actually prefer something that would give me more MPG, I'm only getting 22 city.

Thanks

Absolut3Zr0

The Herman Handler
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you really feel like it, you can always replace the water pump while its accessible but I don't think its necessary. They will make sure its all in good timing when they are done, which should include a valve lash check. Honestly I don't think you could really do much to improve it. Get new plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. Just basic things really.

nextproject97

5+ Year Member
I would definitely do a water pump while your there you dont wanna spend the money to do the belt only to have the water pump develop a leak in the near future and ruin the new belt and possibly the engine . If its the origional belt and water pump then they have definitely served you well I would get them replaced asap !

2000sicivic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
just had mine done at the honda dealership,

changed

timing belt, water pump, flushed and refilled radiator with honda blue, power steering belt and alternator belt

only paid 480 for all

highneo

Pi Lambda Phi
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
just had mine done at the honda dealership,

changed

timing belt, water pump, flushed and refilled radiator with honda blue, power steering belt and alternator belt

only paid 480 for all
that's a pretty good deal. did you get some kind of discount?

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
that's a pretty good deal. did you get some kind of discount?

:word: if your in a tight pinch and don't wanna spend alot of money i recommend buying the haynes manual for your car it has step by step to do the timing belt and everything else in that book:cool:

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
$480?

thats why i love doing it myself.

$180

2000sicivic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dont have the time, and it comes with a warranty and better proof that it was done

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dont have the time, and it comes with a warranty and better proof that it was done
Yeah who has time these days. If you can get a good deal at a dealer go for it. Shops you need to make sure they are good and not going to do Half ass work. In most cases you want to have AT least the water pump replaced. Like everyone has said while you've got it torn apart replace it. When I put a new motor in, I did the pump/timing belt and it was Under 100 for both From Honda Maybe 130. It may be cheaper to go to a dealer and get those parts than to have the shop get them. Also I recommend HONDA parts when you do this, the Auto Zone junk and all that is okay for stupid stuff like Wiper blades. But when it comes to a Vital component that can trash your car like that you want a GOOD brand.

I would replace the belts as well. Flush your fluids, do a Thermostat, check hoses. Oil Change, Spark Plugs, Wires, Cap and rotor. Not sure what your good with but most of the stuff I just listed is easy and can be done by you with little time. But if you do all that, you will be set for a while. Tranny Flush will be good at some point as well. Good Luck

zb12691

Ebuilt Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you can do just as good as the shop. just make shure the water pump and other other belts are changed too. the new tension of the new timing belt likes to wear the water pump bearing out faster. im only 18 and do them for people all the time at the honda dealership where i work. so you can probably do juat as good as a job. just keep it in time =)

bgrk

5+ Year Member
I have a 2000 honda civic LX. It has done only 75000 miles. The dealer told me to get timing belt replaced as it was more than 7 years. Should I replace it now or wait for some more time?

Beej

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm going to be changing my timing belt and water pump myself this weekend. I'm also going to remove my head and replace my head gasket, intake manifold gasket, exhaust header gasket, power steering belt and alternator belt. I'm also going to take my head to a machine shop to have my valve seals replaced. It's definitely going to be some work, but I love working on the civic and its fun to do the work yourself and learn all this stuff.