what exactly do i need?

1991civicZC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok my 4th spark plug has a lttle oil around it. when im going down hills sometimes with my foot off the gas it puffs blue smoke. i figure that is where its getting in and burning?

so my question is: what all gaskets do i need to change? i really would like to do just like the whole top of the valve cover. so it would be 4 spark plug gaskets, and for around the valve cover right? is that it or is there a kit that it comes in?

my motor is a DOHC ZC non-vtec. so i am wondering what motor or car/year/motor i have to get to fit my motor correctly?

help a.s.a.p. thanks!!!!

Wax Hands

Smell my finger
Registered VIP
It is very unlikely that it is pulling enough oil through the spark plug thread to produce visible blue smoke. However that is a totally different issue, but easily fixed.

To solve the oil in spark plug tube problem you can purchase the Spark Plug Seal Gasket Kit from your local auto parts store.

As far as burning blue smoke it could be one of a few things.
  • Worn Piston Rings (When you replace rings gauge your cylinder inner diameter in two places at the top and two places at the bottom to measure roundness. measure in a + shape.)
  • Worn Valve Stem Seals
  • Blown Headgasket
  • Faulty PCV valve staying open allowing A LOT of oil into the intake tract.
  • Faulty PCV valve staying closed causing significant crankcase pressure pushing oil through seals. (However first seal to leak and is a classic sign of a bad PCV valve is a severely leaking oil pan gasket.
You can test your PCV valve easily. Remove the valve and shake it. If it rattles its good. However if it does not or is very grimy replace it anyways. PCV valves are usually around $2-$3.

1991civicZC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
when i go to say like advance auto what motor and all do i tell them i need the spark plug seal gasket kit for? or is it like a one size fits all thing?

where exactly is my pcv valve on my motor its the 1991 zc

Wax Hands

Smell my finger
Registered VIP
when i go to say like advance auto what motor and all do i tell them i need the spark plug seal gasket kit for? or is it like a one size fits all thing?

where exactly is my pcv valve on my motor its the 1991 zc
Request the seal from the donor car. Cant remember which one the ZC came out of. However if you have another means of transportation remove your valve cover and take the seal with you. You might be able to compare it to a B or D series seal and it might match.

The PCV valve is located on the intake manifold between the runners.

1991civicZC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oh and valve stems and piston rings could be because im actually unsure of mileage on motor and as for the blown headgasket i would see white smoke and see my coolant levels drop and i haven't seen either so i doubt they are it. probably just mileage and wear on motor causing i was guessin' lol... but it would be wonderful to not smoke anymore....... from what the guy i bought car off of said the motor should have about 70-75k ok it ruffly but thats what he said not exact...maybe not exact at all but it still runs like a champ

1991civicZC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Request the seal from the donor car. Cant remember which one the ZC came out of. However if you have another means of transportation remove your valve cover and take the seal with you. You might be able to compare it to a B or D series seal and it might match.

hmm... ok i wonder which is donor car? im thinking it is a 91 integra possibly? i haven't been working on this car in a while so things i am forgetting lol

i can just pull the pcv valve out on this car too right like every other car or truck? just making sure there is no trick... this car always throws me in loops with the motor and everything...lol

1991civicZC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

oh and if i would take seal with me it would end up not fitting anything lol... it would be my luck haha

Wax Hands

Smell my finger
Registered VIP
You wont know until you try.

Int he wise words of Master Yoda, "Do or do not, there is no try".