what happens if i run a test pipe?

99civic/si

5+ Year Member
where th o2 is can i just let it hang??? or will it do damage to my car ex: lean out richen the fuel? and what can i do about this? i wanna run the test pipe. any info would be great Thanx guys

99civic/si

5+ Year Member
99civic/si said:
where th o2 is can i just let it hang??? or will it do damage to my car ex: lean out richen the fuel? and what can i do about this? i wanna run the test pipe. any info would be great Thanx guys
oh ya its a 99 civic si*(canadain) and ex (american) and i am talking about the o2 in the cat

ex96vtec

AWD Build In Progess
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Running a test pipe will throw your cel unless you get an 02 simulator. I dont really recommend it when I put mine on the exhaust smelled and sounded like ass. I changed it back in like three days.

2000 SiR

5+ Year Member
what the hell is an 02 simulator never heard or seen such a thing

rei

jSolo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ex96vtec said:
Running a test pipe will throw your cel unless you get an 02 simulator. I dont really recommend it when I put mine on the exhaust smelled and sounded like ass. I changed it back in like three days.
your exhaust smelled like ass? why are you breathing in your exhaust fumes!? :lol:

iamcivic

zdnfhsz fhz
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
2000 SiR said:
Its a plae to screw the o2 sensor into.
I have a test pipe, and it does make your exhaust 2x as loud and you can smell the burn off inside your car. I havent had much beniit from it yet, even though I spool a bit faster.

99civic/si

5+ Year Member
so in other words just leave the stk cat in there? or should i get a fi flow?? but i am thinking with a stk cat and a hi-flow cat there isn't going to be much of a difference or am i on drugs? lol

ex96vtec

AWD Build In Progess
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
2000 SiR said:
The stock o2 sensor measures the voltage that it is seeing in the exhaust. An o2 simulator takes whatever voltage the o2 sensor needs to see and just puts it in the middle of the range all the time allowing you to run a test pipe without throwing codes.Caspers Electronics o2 simulator

ex96vtec

AWD Build In Progess
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
99civic/si said:
so in other words just leave the stk cat in there? or should i get a fi flow?? but i am thinking with a stk cat and a hi-flow cat there isn't going to be much of a difference or am i on drugs? lol
It depends on what you want to do with the car. Right now I have the stock cat in because the car is set up for autocross and I want the low and midrange power. If you plan on drag racing and want the high end then go with the hi flow. There is a difference between stock and a hi flow.

Casper Saint

5+ Year Member
just to let you know if you let the O2 sensor just hang out in the open air, the ecu thinks it running lean so the ecu will add fuel making it run rich. depending on which O2 sensor you do that to it won't matter. the 1st O2 sensor determines a/f ratio the 2nd O2 lets the ecu know how efficient the cat is. so leave the first one in leave the 2nd one hanging.

civic!

my daughter is the s**t.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the second o2 sensor is just to let the ecu know how efficient the cat is. all the info the ecu needs for fuel trim is taken from the primary o2 sensor voltage. removing your secondary o2 sensor will have absolutely NO effect on driveability. an o2 sim is sends midline voltage to the ecu making it thing the cat works when in fact you could be running no cat or exhaust at all