What i have been told please verify

awright3331

Please verify the following.
I have been told that to do an engine swap to my car to get more horsepower, i must upgrade the suspension, the frame, the rear end, and entire drive train. I want to just put a low mileage bored out motor in it. I dont think id need to upgrade the frame i believe engine, transmission, and rear end will be fine for hondas 2.2L.

I bought a honda to modify and have fun in if i cant do this swap with the 2.2L(Bored out) then this car is not for me.

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what type of motor is it? h22?

THEDARKONE

Registered VIP
suspention??

plez what does that have to do with the engine except the fact that is metal?

who ever told you knows dank about modifying :D

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
suspention??

plez what does that have to do with the engine except the fact that is metal?

who ever told you knows dank about modifying :D
Coming from the kid who asked if a valvetrain added lots of horsepower :roll:

OP- What motor exactly are you swapping in? And into what? Because if the two are very different from eachother, there might be some fabrication/macguyvering needing to take place. Telling us that would be a good place to start.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
LOL @ the "rear end" :rolf:

Last time I checked civics don't have a rear end, at least not in the sense that would be effected by a motor swap.

OP, most civics are going to have a D-series engine. It's a single cam 1.5 or 1.6L motor. There is no such thing as a D-series motor bored out to 2.2L... there would be nothing left of the cylinder walls. You can, however, swap in a 2.2L motor from the H-series (Accords and Preludes basically). It would require the entire engine, wiring harness, computer, transmission with axles and shift linkage, motor mounts, exhaust manifold, and custom modified exhaust system. I'm sure I left something out probably. Though it sounds difficult, it's been done half a million times, and the basic procedure can be found using google. With the H-series, the only other thing you may consider is changing out the suspension springs so something stiffer, or adjustable. The added weight of the bigger motor may throw off your weight distribution and balance. It wouldn't be a problem for daily driving, but if you ever do auto-x or the like, you would have problems.

H-series isnt your only option. A simpler swap would be a B-series, since some civics came with a B-series stock. They will be 1.6, 1.8 or 2.0L in size, which would give you significant power gains over the D-series, especially if you choose a VTEC motor.

Last edited:

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
LOL @ the "rear end" :rolf:

Last time I checked civics don't have a rear end, at least not in the sense that would be effected by a motor swap.

OP, most civics are going to have a D-series engine. It's a single cam 1.5 or 1.6L motor. There is no such thing as a D-series motor bored out to 2.2L... there would be nothing left of the cylinder walls. You can, however, swap in a 2.2L motor from the H-series (Accords and Preludes basically). It would require the entire engine, wiring harness, computer, transmission with axles and shift linkage, motor mounts, exhaust manifold, and custom modified exhaust system. I'm sure I left something out probably. Though it sounds difficult, it's been done half a million times, and the basic procedure can be found using google. With the H-series, the only other thing you may consider is changing out the suspension springs so something stiffer, or adjustable. The added weight of the bigger motor may throw off your weight distribution and balance. It wouldn't be a problem for daily driving, but if you ever do auto-x or the like, you would have problems.

H-series isnt your only option. A simpler swap would be a B-series, since some civics came with a B-series stock. They will be 1.6, 1.8 or 2.0L in size, which would give you significant power gains over the D-series, especially if you choose a VTEC motor.
Couldn't have put it any better.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

awright3331

So would the B series 1.6 motor and transmission(ofcourse the axels for it) mount where my 1.5 used to be

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yes. either a b16, b18 or a b20 (the engine out of a crv) will for the most part "drop" in

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes it will mount up

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Typically the weight of an engine swap is insignificant and it's not entirely necessary to change your suspension for it.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:smackself

Not exactly.

Almost all civics are FWD (yes there are some 4WD versions). Any civic in the US is going to be FWD unless it was imported. There are many RWD Hondas...