What is the best Ls/vtec set-up for all motor?

Doms_EJ2

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I just got a b18a1 motor without tranny. Im just looking for opinions. Thanks!!!!

richocet1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The best one is the one you take the time to research and plan to meet the specific performance for what you want out of your car.

If i were to do one, i would use a B16a2 head and type r tranny with lsd.

red_EF9si

röckïn dä älmïghty ß16
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What do you mean by "best"? Do you want maximum HP numbers? Torque? Reliability?
Put it this way, if you have to ask...you can't afford it period.

Kihun_Cha

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
put gsr head man

MasterShake

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
tisk tisk tisk...b16 head, cower rods, gsr lsd tranny... please please do alot of resarch

Doms_EJ2

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
red_EF9si said:
What do you mean by "best"? Do you want maximum HP numbers? Torque? Reliability?
Put it this way, if you have to ask...you can't afford it period.
Dude not to be meen and all. But dont tell me what i cant afford. Im not some of those people. That post s**t that they dont have. Just to feel special. But anyways i couldn't type all that i wonted cuz i was called in for work. But back to the motor. I have a B18a1 that i got for dirt cheap. It is realy clean and rebuilt. Im looking for higher compression than 9:2:1 if im correct. I wont know less than 10:1. I wont reliability first. Than i want both good amount of torque and power. I read that if i use a gsr head. It ''should'' put me at the 170 to 190 hp range and 120-145 lbs-ft. But some people told me that was bull. I know that it requires time and money to make it performe to and i have both of them. To me thats the best way to do it the right way. Some people also told me to use a b16 head cuz it is much stronger. Than get B16b higher dome pistons and a set of ITR cams. But I dont know wich one would be best out of these two. Im trying to beat 2 of my close budies with 2,000 dollar gsr's in there hatches. There both hella quick dont get me rong. Its just im trying to piss them off. I am realy good at getting killer deals with people. I just told them ill be cheaper and faster by the end of feb............. 8)

Doms_EJ2

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I know i need to buy the ls/vtec conversion kit. And what ever head i get get the ecu for it. tap and plug the vtec oil supply hole on the head. Get a oil supply line for vtec. I need to open up the dowel pins on the head i get cuz the ls has slightly larger ones on the block. Im not sure on the gasket thow. Could i use the ls head gasket. Are should i use one for which head ill run? I know i need to use some jumper wire from the ecu to the vtec controle soleniod to activate vtec. Im going to need a knock sensor because the ls doesnt have any hole for one. I know i need that to for the vtec to function. I am going to get some ARP head studes and crank bolts. To provent any snap crackles when i pop vtec. I dont know wich tranny is best either. I like the b16 tranny cuz the tighter gear ratio. But i also like the gsr for quick but alil longer gear ratio. So please if there is anything else i need that i havnt talked about please let me know. If you know of anything special let me know to. Thanks