What is this part, and why is it leaking oil

jackdog1

I'm not sure what this part is, but it appears that it's leaking something (oil?). I don't see anything actively flowing from it, but the area looks wet after the engine's been running (that's the best description I can give, my block is pretty dirty).

The valve cover gasket is fine, I just replaced it and I don't see any fresh oil deposits around it, so that's not what's leaking.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Vtec solenoid

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Thanks! Looks like one more set of oil gaskets I'll have to replace.

there is 2 gasket for the vtec solenoid the top half unbolts from the body and a gasket for the body to the head

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
When in doubt of the name of a part, search on a site like HondaPartsUnlimited.com.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
When in doubt of the name of a part, search on a site like HondaPartsUnlimited.com.
That doesn't always work, with honda most sites are great but most the toyota dealer websites don't have diagrams and I'm sure there are many others. Honda dealers have great organization and parts diagrams

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That doesn't always work, with honda most sites are great but most the toyota dealer websites don't have diagrams and I'm sure there are many others. Honda dealers have great organization and parts diagrams
For someone new to it all, its still a great learning resource if nothing else.

HockeyZombies

Respected
Yeah, if they get dirty from one thing or another they gunk up. Keep quality oil in your car and keep it changed. The crud got in there, backed up the screen and psi kicked in and thats the sum of the problem. Keep throttle body cleaned with CRC IVD cleaner, add a couple ounces of Gumout Multi Tune cleaner in crankcase 100 miles before oil change and rest in fuel tank. Run it on the highway to get it good and warm. Use a synblend or full synthetic like Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Castrol Edge too. If it keeps leaking try half a bottle of Liquimoly Motor Oil Saver each oil change. Good luck.

jackdog1

Yeah, if they get dirty from one thing or another they gunk up. Keep quality oil in your car and keep it changed. The crud got in there, backed up the screen and psi kicked in and thats the sum of the problem. Keep throttle body cleaned with CRC IVD cleaner, add a couple ounces of Gumout Multi Tune cleaner in crankcase 100 miles before oil change and rest in fuel tank. Run it on the highway to get it good and warm. Use a synblend or full synthetic like Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Castrol Edge too. If it keeps leaking try half a bottle of Liquimoly Motor Oil Saver each oil change. Good luck.
I just changed the oil and put in high-mileage synthetic. However, it sat for two years and the oil hadn't been changed since 2012 (5000mi), so I'll look up that cleaner stuff you mentioned.

dancam

Registered VIP
Semi-synthetic is a rip off as the minimum amount of synthetic content required to call it semi-synthetic is 2%. If your going to spend more money just get full synthetic on sale. Biggest thing in keeping that screen clean after changing your oil often enough is using quality oil filters and synthetic oil. Every time you cold start your car the bypass valve in the filter opens a bit and unfiltered oil gets past. With synthetic that valve is open less long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jackdog1

Semi-synthetic is a rip off as the minimum amount of synthetic content required to call it semi-synthetic is 2%. If your going to spend more money just get full synthetic on sale. Biggest thing in keeping that screen clean after changing your oil often enough is using quality oil filters and synthetic oil. Every time you cold start your car the bypass valve in the filter opens a bit and unfiltered oil gets past. With synthetic that valve is open less long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Got it. I have a good filter on it (Puralator PureONE), but next time I change the oil (after only 2000mi for aforementioned reasons) I'm planning on using Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic and a Puralator BOSS oil filter, since the engine already has 221k on it and I want to keep it running as long as possible.