What is this & Where to relocate for mounting 3 Point Strut bar?

aeraiva

Dedicated Civic Owner
I'm trying to figure out where I would relocate this to make room to mount the 3 Point Strut bar. One of the two bolt holes needed to mount the 3rd point of the strut bar is taken up by this.

aeraiva

Dedicated Civic Owner
Looks like an air boost valve
Thanks for the response.

Air boost valve huh? I'll do some research now that I have something to go on but another small question remains: How would I relocate that to attach the 3rd point of my 3 Point Front Strut Bar? One little black hose that goes into it gives me I would say 8 inches to move it from but the shorter one gives me about 4.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You are way over thinking this. Just unbolt it and push it down out of the way and zip tie it to something.

aeraiva

Dedicated Civic Owner
You are way over thinking this. Just unbolt it and push it down out of the way and zip tie it to something.
I would except that would be a redneck way of doing things. It can be relocated and bolted to something but I'm wanting to know what it is exactly before I extend the tubing on it, etc.

aeraiva

Dedicated Civic Owner
Decided to go to my friend who is a mechanic at a very reputable shop. He said it's an electrical solenoid to an air control valve. To be more precise, an EGR Valve. He said that part is 'ok' to unbolt and yes, zip tie to the strut bar (underneath it) after it's installed. It was a good idea to check and verify first so that I didn't have something zip tied in a bad position where it would effect my car negatively.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
all the EGR valves i've seen are actually ON the intake manifold

aeraiva

Dedicated Civic Owner
I ran that by him and he said that he is 100% sure that it's an EGR Valve and that it is also 100% stock. It wasn't added onto the car after production or anything. To me, it sounds normal only because sadly I don't know every little thing about cars (I'm a computer techy but you couldn't tell).

Do you think its not on the intake manifold directly because it's an 97 Civic HX Automatic? I know the 97 HX is a bit weird. It's a D16Y5 engine.

*EDIT*
He clarified it to me because apparently I misunderstood him.. The part I'm wanting to RELOCATE is the EGR Vacuum Control Solenoid Valve. When he said it was an EGR valve, he had actually said it's PART of the EGR valve so I mistakenly put that in. So... Now we know... That is, if the other maybe 3% of Civic owners that have this need to know lol

Here's a link to one nearly identical on ebay but it's for Prelude/Accord:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Prelude-Accord-EGR-Vacuum-Control-Solenoid-Valve-/370799172783?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item56555a5caf&vxp=mtr