What kind of Cold air intake should i get?

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What can I do for more hp?
there's really not much to do for the D series engines other than turbos. but that's a bigger investment and you'll probably want to learn a lot about them before you consider going that route.

the easiest route would probably be a B series engine swap but again. research, and more money involved.

maybe for now just researching the different options out there would be your best bet. and consider getting an alarm or some sort of theft deterrent since civic's are still stolen quite often. and if you do invent your money into the car you;ll want to protect that investment.

civicexkid

i think he needs to research instead of telling him over and over again not to buy one he already said hes goin g to by one anyway! you bought the economy civic with long gearing and great gas milage dri ve it for what its wrong dont try to make it fast that wont happen youll always come up just under a stock b series or one with bolt ons and a tune. if you want performace sell it and buy different if you like it and can live and will have it for a while then lower it dont fall into the stance movement to much. but just research.

emerican

Registered VIP
if you are dead set on buying the intake get an ebay sri and put an aem dryflow filter on it its the cheapest route for an intake of that kind. technically just leaving the ebay filter on it is the cheapest for an sri, but the filter is poor quality.

~XhAuSt~

I live in az we don't get much water here, but I think I'm going to get a short ram intake and have a piece of PVC coming from my bumper to my intake. Would that be even worse when it comes to horsepower?
I don't know about you but I try and clean OUT my engine bay not ADD to the cluster F*ck that is in there. Just my personal opinion though. I have an Injen Short Ram and I mean yes it would have a little more power gain but not much at all, it is more the factor of well for me the stock air box and tubing is ugly. Hence people buying the nice flashy CAI or such.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
performance myths?
power and tq gains are beyond just peak output
small overall gains are gains nonetheless
for those who hydrolocked an engine...learn when, where, and how to drive. I drove with CAI's on different vehichles for years without ever having an issue. Also without a bypass valve.

OP seems to graps that the car won't become some insanely fast race car after adding an intake, so why discourage it? The average civic owner doesn't build engines, do motor swaps, or run forced induction so why not just enjoy squeezing whatever you can out of the economy engine? (especially if it's their own money)

the only true argument is the performance per dollar ratio.

super old info, but may be useful to see the rough level of increase when lightly modding a sohc civic motor.
http://www.importtuner.com/powerpages/impp_1005_1999_honda_civic_ex_power_pages/viewall.html

Reedy17

Look up "mightycarmods" on YouTube they did a dyno test on a stock car swapping between stock airbox/cheapo air intake/expensive air intake, difference is kind of surprising, since it's virtually nothing at all..

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the purpose of people continuing to post the same info that's already been posted multiple times really helps. at least its a good way to get your post count up =)

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Look up "mightycarmods" on YouTube they did a dyno test on a stock car swapping between stock airbox/cheapo air intake/expensive air intake, difference is kind of surprising, since it's virtually nothing at all..
that skyline test they did? the car that comes with a factory airbox that draws air from outside of the engine bay to begin with. incredible! :shock:

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you buy a cai off ebay, make sure it is not painted from the inside. the paint will flake off and go inside your engine. it'll probably get burned away insie the engine,but to be on the safe side, you do not want paint flakes going inside your engine.

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
that skyline test they did? the car that comes with a factory airbox that draws air from outside of the engine bay to begin with. incredible! :shock:
Not only that but they didn't reset the ecu after swapping intakes.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk