What mods are suggested?

Jordan98

Hello,
I'm new to this forum! I just found this site looking up some mods and figured, maybe I can get some suggestions. I drive a 1998 Honda Civic EX (sedan) and have replaced the grill, headlight lamps, and purchased HIDs. My car is perfectly mechanically running, and want to know if there was any suggestions? I really don't know what would look good and will take any suggestions you have into consideration. Thanks for your time!

-Jordan

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Well what do you want to do to it, and how much money are you willing to spend?

Jordan98

I'd love to get maybe new exhaust, tailights possibly a different spoiler, lower, rims, all that jazz. It's not necessarily a "how much money" it's a project. I'm 17 and have a job so when money builds up for something that I'd like, I buy it.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No one can tell you how to build YOUR car. Especially if it is your money. Look through build threads and decide a direction, then go from there.

That being said, I would recommend doing a retrofit to some proper projector housings before dropping the HID kit in. Putting HID light bulb kits in stock housing is very blinding to other drivers and is very dangerous. Plus it is very illegal.

96 DX Hatch

Alex
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
There's all kinds of things you can do. IMO that's the best generation for the shitvic, minus being a 4do.

You can go mad tyte JDM yo with OEM lips and 99/00 front/rear conversion (looks even better than 96-96)

Or gay ricer with body kits and bigass wings.

Then you have power. Just about anything under the sun fits in these things.
Can build n/a or turbo single cammers.
Not good enough? Ok, move up to dual cam. Would you like that as a 160hp B16 out of an 99/00 Si? or how about a 170hp GSR motor? Alright big shot, let's go to the K-series 160-200+. Feelings adventurous? J-swap. LS# swap out of a Chevy, it's been done but I don't recommend it :lol:

Suspension, coilover kits or cheap lowering springs (s**t ive been on em for 7yrs no probs)
Brakes
Wheels/tires

There's almost no end to what you can do to that car.
Your biggest drawback is coupe > sedan (imo), and do you want to get the brand name ($$$) stuff or cheap knockoff, or the knockoffs of knockoffs.

With all that said, welcome to CC.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:hi:

I think we all have these types of questions when we first start building a car. I know I did. :lol:

I ended up getting my inspiration from two members on this site, one from 2Slo4u, the other from watisjdm.

Figure out what YOU like, and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. As stated, it's your car, so as long as you're happy with it, f*** the haters.

Jordan98

Umm. JDM life over mexican rice any day. I'd love to lower my car, and put rims. But I have no idea what rims to use, especailly what size. And on how much to lower my car, and whats the best appearance. I've never necessarily "thought" of putting engine modifications other then an intake. Thanks for the suggestions though.

andrewthesith

Darth "The Si" Vader
i would suggest:

lowering springs 1-2" drop (Eibach would be my choice)
Koni struts (orange or yellow)
15x7 rims or optional OEM wheels - bolt pattern must be 4x100
wrap the rims in some nice performance all seasons (depends on your location in correlation to snow of course)

those mods will greatly improve the look and quality of your ride... next step mods would include:

Energy Suspension complete bushing kit
short shifter
THEN quality header and exhaust (no fart cans)

............... but of course i wouldn't do any of that without replacing plugs, wires, oil, coolant flush, trans fluid, etc. my rule of thumb is - complete maintenance overhaul, suspension mods, alignment, wheels and tires, engine/supporting mods.

as stated, read through some build threads and see who has a style you like and what parts they used. you don't need to copy them to a T, but it helps build a base for your build.

good luck and let us know if you need help finding parts or have fitment questions!

Genyc07

I went the other way... My car is a commuter.2 door coupe that I drive 1100 miles a week. I gutted it put peal and stick through out. Plus some jute to dampen noise dropped in some fresh si dark grey interior from a dx coupe and put acura cl leather heated seats in from and rear. Led gauges cup holder nd climate control as well as some LEDs on the floor. I did a full system also touch screen and speakers from boss and a couple amps. The full set up cost me very little money total out of pocket is maybe up to 600$

I did buy a new axle and some rotors and pads as well but honestly I didn't do much mechanically other than some cheap 17s I bought 125$ with rubber. I did most of my shopping at a you pull it junk yard and found some parts to flip for profit along the way but that being said check the ultimate diy list for ideas. And feel free to ask me about interior mods.

Jordan98

Thanks for the replies guys! If I have any more questions, I will make sure to PM you guys depending on what the questions are on. Much appreciated and will try to keep up my mod adding pictures when I do them.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nothing wrong with a sedan, just take a look at my build. My 99 ex sedan makes 222whp and looks good doing it, maybe buy some rota grids or rota gt3 ( common size is 15x7 +40mm with. 195/50/15 tire). How low your car is is all up to you, I love low vehicles so my car sits about 3.75 inches off the ground

Genyc07

Ph ahem did a great interior rehab on his 4door dx. I like four doors a lot. All the sixth gen civics look great to me. I had a 30k to spend on a car I decided on a sixth gen civic because it checked all the boxes. Style, handling, customization, fuel economy and I was happy to put the 28 I had left over into something else. Ie my mortgage. Honestly I like the hatch coupe and sedan equally and if I get rid of my coupe or it dies one day I'll probably get a sedan just to do something different. I think the lines on the six gens inside ande and out are fantastic.

donnkesterjr

I've got a Megan Racing header & test pipe connected to a Yonaka Catback.

Butt dyno says a little extra pick up, and it doesn't sound ricey (which is exactly what I was going for). About as loud as stock (even at WOT), but a deeper tone.

But like most have said, it all depends on what you want. Some people like to make it look better without giving it any extra juice Some people prefer it to look sleeper but have it tuned out like crazy.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've got a Megan Racing header & test pipe connected to a Yonaka Catback.

Butt dyno says a little extra pick up, and it doesn't sound ricey (which is exactly what I was going for). About as loud as stock (even at WOT), but a deeper tone.

But like most have said, it all depends on what you want. Some people like to make it look better without giving it any extra juice Some people prefer it to look sleeper but have it tuned out like crazy.

I know someone with that EXACT same setup. But his civic is way loud. Something about the honeycombs in his resonator have vibrated loose and now it's all raspy and it rattles. Idk.