What Oil are best for DX....?

_Ben_W

5+ Year Member
I have an objection about dissin on the synthetic oil. I have a DX with 190,000+mi. and have been using royal purple in my car since I bought it with 150,000. You can tell a diffrence if you change oil, gear oil/ tranny fluid and add some purple ice with a good coolant flush (which should be done anyways). Of coarse its not good if you have a leak, which i have none, but you WILL see improvement. It prolongs the life of your car by reducing friction which equals hp. It does cost more, but lasts longer. Im not just blowing smoke up anyones ass, I work there and have seen numerous tests done, if proof is needed, go to the website.

Civicpmp

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What makes Synthetic special for DX anyway? I know it's a good oil, but what is more that it can do than regular oil?

_Ben_W

5+ Year Member
Lets face it, the little d16y7 isn't a high hp engine, so every little bit you can get is better, right? Go to the website and look at the automotive page. http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/rpmoa.html There is all kinds of info there. If you lived closer I would give you some to try, but im not shipping it to cali

Blazed

f**k The Powers That B
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if temp ibn ur area never goes below 20 u can use 10w30..i would still use whats recommended by my car manufacturer :D

Dr.Anus

proctologist
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I use 5w30 mobile1, but it's not all that important. My neighbor has a 96ex with 300k on it, he's been using wal-mart, sams-choice?, whatever brand cheap ass oil they sell and it's worked fine for him. He also says that it's a conspiracy by oil companies to change your oil every 3000 miles he says every 5000-7000 is "the true interval that they hide from the people".
I don't know, I think he got shot down in nam or something....

mugenvtec98

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i work for valvoline, anyways you should use a thicker oil 10w30 for the summer due to the thinning of oil in hotter climates. if your car has over 75k miles you should think about using a higher mileage oil. and if your mr. moneybags you can use a full synthetic, but remember once you go syn you shouldnt go back. like the saying once you go black you never go back.

_Ben_W

5+ Year Member
Why is it everyone thinks once you go synthetic you shouldn't go back? I am curious to hear why?

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
_Ben_W said:
Why is it everyone thinks once you go synthetic you shouldn't go back? I am curious to hear why?
still trying to figure that one out myself.

I did it on a Kawasaki. I later destroyed 2nd gear but most sport bikes lose 2nd eventually. the engine was just fine.

(in case you are wondering what 2nd has to do with engine oil, most bikes share engine and transmission oil...the engine and tranny are one unit)

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
mugenvtec98 said:
i work for valvoline, anyways you should use a thicker oil 10w30 for the summer due to the thinning of oil in hotter climates. if your car has over 75k miles you should think about using a higher mileage oil. and if your mr. moneybags you can use a full synthetic, but remember once you go syn you shouldnt go back. like the saying once you go black you never go back.
You might want to consult with someone in your company about some further education. :roll:

At operating temperatures, a 5W30 is the same viscosity as a 10W30...hence the 30 after the W.

A 10W30 will stay in or near grade slightly longer than a 5W30. If you are maintaining good change intervals, that's a moot point.

The problem in switching to synthetic is the other way around. If you switch to a synthetic on a high mileage engine, the synthetic will work it's way around the sludge and buildup that just might be holding your high mileage engine together and oil tight. Switching from full synthetic to regular doesn't have any adverse reactions.

All multi-vis oils are partially synthetic.

_Ben_W

5+ Year Member
AMEN BROTHER! I could not have said it any better. I think it is pitiful that everyone tries to knock on full synthetic. Why would numerous companies spend all of this time on r&d on a bad product. I think people need to do research before they talk smack.

JSWhaler

5+ Year Member
5W30 all year, changed roughly 3k miles, whatever is cheap with a fram oil filter= cheepest I've found and no issues and still going strong

Civicpmp

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks guys.

Hey, when you change your oil, you have to change the washer right? Do I need to put any threading cream or something on? Or do I just change the washer and that's it. I found one of this mechanic doesn't change the washer and cause leakage.

Oh what about the oil filter, Do I need to do soemthing besides changing it?

vampiremaknel

5+ Year Member
i got 10w30 Mobil synthethic, like,,, pfff.. 4000 miles, on a b20, i race like every 3 weeks, and take long trips of about 400 miles on the weekend... i check my oil all the time, level, viscosity, cleanlyness, and its fine.. its still pretty clean and clearish...

i also had a stock 94 ex vtec, i changed the oil at like 5k, and the condition of the oil was a bit more screwewd...

i liky synt, it last aaaa longer time... last time i changed it was like at 8k on my civic, and it was still good oil, my mechanic told me, synt is really good....

and my dad has a 91 accord with 280k same engine, and he uses some cheap 2 dollar valvoline oil, and his engine never had any problems... it still runs perfectly fine.. but his oil doesnt last as long as mine, when we change his oil, at 4k, its alot darker, and viscosity is shot...

i think, just be cautios about ur stuff... always check it, it take only a couple of seconds, plus, its nice to see ur engine... like a lil baby.. just sitting there... hehe...

one thing i do not recoment though, is switching back and forth on oils,
ive seen bad stuff happen with that...