What oil is everyone using?

MR99si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have been using 5w30 hovoline since I got my car and it seems to be doing ok but I have been thinking about trying another oil out! Anyone have any suggestions on what you think the best motor oil is for a vtec engine, I asked this question a couple times at bob is the oil guy forums and all I got was people posting these crazy oil weight's and mixtures didn't really help at all!

The reason I am thinking of switching is that lately after the car/oil is really warm like after driving on the freeway (10 + miles) I am noticing a light tapping noise when at idol, and it's not the normal ticking noise that hondas make!

car 99'si b16a2

Leaks zero oil!

Any suggestions! :what:

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Mobil 5W30. the regular 5000 stuff not the 7500

(1): I really don't believe that Exxon/Mobil puts anything special in the oil they package for Honda. That's not cost effective to create a product that meets Honda specs and then dump something additional into it.
(2): It's cheaper than PennzkerState/Valvoline/Castrol

MR99si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
turboex17 said:
Well in my 99 si I use 10w30 castrol gtx.
This is another ? I had, is it all right to use 10w30 and would it be better for the engine since it's a little thicker than 5w30?

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the weight depends on where you live. Cold climates make a 10w30 a little better to use than the 5w. But I run 5w year round here in VT with absolutely no problems. I use 5w30 Castrol GTX as well and have for 7 years now. My suby I ran Quaker state and that thing still ran like new with 173,xxx HARD miles on it.

That chatter sound you hear may be that you need your valves adjusted, which I believe is in general maintenance anyways. BUT, some people have switched to a different filter and had the sound go away. I use a Mobil1 filter, which I've heard is the best and seems to work REALLY well, even though it's a $10 filter. Stay away from FRAM their design can allow oil to go throw unfiltered due to the plastic valve they use. Mobil1 has a metal valve.

Revolver

Oct 10th
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
W does not stand for weight, it stands for Winter.

Phantom Civic

Never Satisfied
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I use Mobil1 10w-30

Its got 128,000 miles and i heard its better for higher mileage motors to use a thicker oil :what:

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
10w30 amsoil synthetic.

rollinj86

Hit the vtec
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I see no point to synthetic its just like another additive, i go with Castrol GTX 10w 30.

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Full synthetic 30w mobil 1 in the summer and 5w30 mobil 1 in the winter

w = weight

also synthetic does not break down as fast as reg oil

Mr.Luder

SSM EP3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
io_303 said:
Full synthetic 30w mobil 1 in the summer and 5w30 mobil 1 in the winter

w = weight

also synthetic does not break down as fast as reg oil
this stupid old man that got fired recently at my work place told a customer that w stood for winter...im like no its not..and he wanted to be rude so i said wutever..ur gonna get wuts coming LOL

*oh and once u go syntec never go back..ur seals will break and u'll start to leak oil

turboex17

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Mr.Luder said:
*oh and once u go syntec never go back..ur seals will break and u'll start to leak oil
When I bought my car new I only used 5w30 up to about 10,000mi. then I switched to mobil 1full synthetic for 15,000mi. and I really didn't see any point in spending $3 more on synthetic so I switched back to castrol 10w30. put about 80,000 mi on my car since then with no problems.

Revolver

Oct 10th
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Mr.Luder said:
this stupid old man that got fired recently at my work place told a customer that w stood for winter...im like no its not..and he wanted to be rude so i said wutever..ur gonna get wuts coming LOL

Yeah, my ATEC instructors must of been lying...
What would you call SAE50? It doesn't have a W.

Revolver

Oct 10th
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/ehl/engineoilspecs.htm
The fact that this classification has two parts; the 15W and the 40 indicates that the oil is a multigrade. The first number with the suffix 'W' indicates the oil's performance at low temperature. In fact the 'W' stands for winter. The lower the 'W' number the lower the viscosity of the oil. Therefore an SAE 5W oil is a lower viscosity oil than an SAE 10W oil.
http://www.sizes.com/materls/engineOil.htm
The purpose of the viscosity rating is to assure that, in the climate in which the engine is operated, the oil will always be able to flow through the engine's lubrication system. Eleven grades are defined. Six of them end in the letter “W,” beginning with “0W” and proceeding in steps of 5 to “25W.” The W stands for winter. The remaining five grades go from “20” to “60” in steps of 10, without the W. In general, higher numbers mean higher viscosities.
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=82688
10W-40 oil: The W stands for winter and the 10W is the winter performance. The 40 is the summer or high temperature performance. The grades of oil used are relative to climate, e.g.
http://www.csaa.com/global/articledetail/0,8055,1004010302%7C2024,00.html
Oil viscosity is affected by temperature. A heavy oil that stays relatively thick at high temperatures would have a high-viscosity rating of 30, 40, or 50. A thin oil that flows freely at low temperatures would have a lower number. Because temperature affects how well any liquid flows, motor oil viscosity is rated at both high and low temperatures. The lower viscosity numbers of 20, 15, 10, and 5 are accompanied by a "W" for "winter."
Hey, guess what W doesn't stand for...

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
somebody needs their job back....