What oil should I use?

PhantomPharter

So, I just rebuilt my motor this week. P29 pistons good for 12.6:1 CR I believe is what I was told. Along with a few other things, nothing too major though. New valve seals, resurfaced head, yadda yadda yadda. Pretty much just wondering if I should stick to the same weight I've always used or if I should go higher/lower because of the new CR and rebuild. I'm planning on using Mobil 1 as that's what I've always used and I really like using it and its also what my mechanic uses.

Just a honda!!

Registered VIP
Id use the same weight, but make sure u do your oil changes after a rebuild and get a tune !!

Jermee

Registered VIP
I've always used rotella t6..5w/40 on all my cars (excepts truck) never had any problems with it.

Sent from your moms house.

mikekh10a

Registered VIP
I say use the same weight,but yeahh i like mobil 1

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've always used rotella t6..5w/40 on all my cars (excepts truck) never had any problems with it.
Why would you use 5w-40? No reason to use something that thick. The fact that you said you've used it on all of your cars makes me question the logic there, not all cars need or should use the same thing.

Jermee

Registered VIP
Why would you use 5w-40? The fact that you said you've used it on all of your cars makes me question the logic there, not all cars should use the same thing.
My tuner told me to use it in my turbo f23. And my mr2 everyone on the forums said use the 5w/40....and the diesel truck I owned called for 15w/40 or 5w/40. As I said. Never had any problems with it.

I've always read t6 was made for high stress engine applications. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here.

Jermee

Registered VIP
I'd use amsoil for a built NA motor.

And just whatever weight the manufacture recommends for anything else.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Same weight of oil is fine (I run 5w30 in winter, 10w30 in summer). Mobile1 is great stuff. I'd run Royal Purple or Amsoil if it were racecar.

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Same weight of oil is fine (I run 5w30 in winter, 10w30 in summer). Mobile1 is great stuff. I'd run Royal Purple or Amsoil if it were racecar.
I've heard purple is not that great for the price. I planned on running redline oil in my car. After this new break in if I ever get around to it. Do know you will do first oil change around 500 miles after. I woukd anyways and do not use synthetic on break in either.

PhantomPharter

I've heard purple is not that great for the price. I planned on running redline oil in my car. After this new break in if I ever get around to it. Do know you will do first oil change around 500 miles after. I woukd anyways and do not use synthetic on break in either.
I used the cheapest oil for the initial break in. Drained it after 100 miles. Then used 5w-20 Mobil for the rest of the break in. Actually have to drop the pan in the next few weeks, though. So but I'll be using Mobil 1 then, too. And for anyone recommending amsoil please do some research. Amsoil is garbage and not worth the money.