What parts/materials are needed to replace timing belt and water pump

beavervalleymal

I'm having my mechanic change my timing belt and water pump on my 2000 Civic DX-V (D16Y7). I'm going to supply the parts. I was going to buy the stuff from one of two guys on ebay. The one (#260462803326) has:
- 1 Timing Belt (104 teeth)
- 1 Tensioner (made in Japan)
- 1 GMB Water Pump
- Front seal
- Cam seal
- Valve Cover Gaskets

The other (#200368659466) has:
- 1 Timing Belt
- 1 Timing Belt Tensioner
- 1 Cam Seal
- 1 Crank seal
- 1 Valve Cover Gasket
- 4 Spark Plug Tube Seals
- 5 Grommets
- 1 Water Pump

I'm wondering exactly what parts I should supply for him to do the job. (i.e. I don't want to give him a valve cover gasket if he doesn't want it). Also, how do you guys feel about the quality of the parts on ebay? One last thing - I need to replace my oil pan gasket. What all is needed for this? I think you need to drop the exhaust to get it out. Will it be easy for my mechanic to do this at the same time? Thanks!!

brian762

5+ Year Member
If i were you, i would get OEM honda parts. If you are having somebody else do it, its gonna prolly be quite pricy, and you dont want the ebay parts failing on you in a month or so and have to pay him to do it again. Do it right the first time. thats my .02.

beavervalleymal

Thanks for the advice. My trusted mechanic is going to do it for the low price of $225. The cost of the ebay parts ($75 for everything, shipped) is significantly less than the stuff at Auto Zone. The guys both have 100% feedback.

brian762

5+ Year Member
i can understand you wanting to save some $$$, im just saying it will prolly end up costing you more in the long run. Just because they have 100% feedback doesnt mean that the products they are selling will last.

jerk334

Hearts my SOHC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
put that bullshit on your car if you want to. your just slapping Takanobu Ito in the face.

durgo

5+ Year Member
Use OEM parts. check out soutbayhonda.com there prices usually beat your local dealer. Its not that bad of a job to do yourself, if you have a garage and a weekend.

imfromdade15

5+ Year Member
dude gmb water pumps are not good i made the mistake of getting one and it last me 4 months, is better if you get oem parts, i learn the hardway not to go cheap on your cars coolant system.

beavervalleymal

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm most likely going to get OEM stuff. I found the parts I need at www.hondaautomotiveparts.com. They have a list price and an "our" price. Would I have any luck getting those prices at a local dealership? What I've found that I think I need:

BELT, TIMING (104RU24 GB-333) - our price $31.40
TENSIONER SET, TIMING BELT (KOYO SEIKO) - our price $43.84
WATER PUMP (YAMADA) - our price $65.76

Is there anything else I need?

ALSO: Is it worth tackling the oil pan gasket at this time?

Last edited:

beavervalleymal

FYI, the manufacturers from the ebay auction:

Timing Belt (104 teeth) - ITM Engine Components
Tensioner (made in Japan) - GMB or NTN
Water Pump - GMB or NTN

frankmoocivic

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The gentlemen are only suggesting that the best way to go with parts is OEM obviously you can do what you please. Most of the time a dealership will not compete with an online Honda retailor. For example I needed an oil pump, the dealorship wanted 130$, an online store(OEM parts) wanted 95$ plus 10$ shipping. Learn it the hard way or take the advice.

RonJ

Banned
If you are interested in doing the job yourself, click here for the DIY, though access to a powerful impact wrench makes the job easier.

beavervalleymal

The gentlemen are only suggesting that the best way to go with parts is OEM obviously you can do what you please. Most of the time a dealership will not compete with an online Honda retailor. For example I needed an oil pump, the dealorship wanted 130$, an online store(OEM parts) wanted 95$ plus 10$ shipping. Learn it the hard way or take the advice.
Thanks! That's helpful. What exactly do you mean by learn the hard way or take the advice? Are you talking about buying cheapo parts? I'm planning not to do that. One of the sellers flat-out said that his parts are inferior to OEM.

MidnightCivicEX

EK Ferio WIP
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
learn the hard way on your own and buy the cheapo parts to prove to yourself they arent worth it...

or just take our advice, and the troubles of past "shortcuts", and do it right the first time...

plan b saves a lot of time and doesnt waste your money...

frankmoocivic

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yea my balls are huge!!!!!! 100% inferior to cow balls! Wanna buy my balls. I don't care what the guy said OEM is OEM! That's my advice. I'm not giving you an attitude there handsome. I'm telling you that you cannot beat OEM, very rarely does somebody offer or invent a product that surpasses the durability of a OEM part. Example, hondata makes a damn good Intake manifold gasket, equivalent to the OEM product. Are far as your question about the dealer being able to match an online prices, highly doubt it. If they do, good for you.