what to do for better gas mileage

unr8ed06

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well i just got another civic. it's a 00 sedan. i got it for the commute to work. i work 2 jobs 7 days a week and one of my jobs it roughly 70 miles away. i'll probably add a few jdm goodies like tails and power folding mirrors and some si or other oem aluminum wheels but, that'll probably be it....for now. anyway, i want to do something to further maximize my mpg. i know i'll get good mileage now but, i want to make it even better. what all should i do. i was thinking maybe intake and bigger tb. not really sure what else to do so i want your input.

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
do tune ups and drive like a grandma that's about it

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Shift at the lowest RPM possible, use C/C as much as possible, keep your oil changed religously, and keep up on the plugs, wires, rotor/cap, ect. Make sure your tires are inflated to the proper PSI, change the fuel filter regularly, ect. Just keep up on the maintainence, and you'll be good.

SlowTEC

Initiate brain dump in...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Eh, one more time couldn't hurt.

Maintenance and drive easy...

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'll admit I'm a ricer because I drive WOT 90% of the time to hear my intake. 95% of my driving is city. And I still get 30+ mpg on my 200k mileage y8.

Good stuff. I love Honda's.

SoJ1Ro

just sit back and enjoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'll admit I'm a ricer because I drive WOT 90% of the time to hear my intake. 95% of my driving is city. And I still get 30+ mpg on my 200k mileage y8.

hahaha i love that you admit ur a ricer haha. yes i love hondas too

ketadotdot

aka babymilo36
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

hahaha yeah i get awesome mileage too

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Make sure your tires have a good amount of air in them. Don't drive with A/C if you can handle it.

SilverEXCoupe

Registered lUser
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Is your car a 5 speed or automatic? If you have a 5 speed there are some things you can try like putting the car into neutral and coasting when you can. They say that you use more gas on starting and stopping. Try to brake as little as possible to maintain momentum. And slow down! On the highway, mpg drops bigtime the further over 55 mph you go.

knivesout

¬ µ ∫ ç π
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Shift at the lowest RPM possible, use C/C as much as possible, keep your oil changed religously, and keep up on the plugs, wires, rotor/cap, ect. Make sure your tires are inflated to the proper PSI, change the fuel filter regularly, ect. Just keep up on the maintainence, and you'll be good.
Good suggestions! One question though, what is C/C?

SlowTEC

Initiate brain dump in...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Good suggestions! One question though, what is C/C?
Cruise Control maybe? I don't think you get very good mileage using Cruise. It's constantly applying throttle to keep you at a steady speed, even going uphill, whereas you might just coast/slow slightly while going uphill. Cruise is not smart, it simply keeps a certain speed...

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
C/C is cruise control. From my experiences, Ive gotten ALOT better MPG with it. I took a trip from Lake George, NY (where I live), to Old Orchard Beach, ME (which is about a 450 mile round trip plus driving around when we got there), and only used JUST barely over a tank of gas. Had cruise on the whole time. 500 miles on a tank of gas, is roughly 41mpg. It all depends on the type of highway/road you travel on if C/C works good.

mitka

5+ Year Member
reduce car weight: fill 1/2 of tank (no need to carry all this fuel around), remove junk from the trunk. If you do not need back seats - get rid of those. get rid of A/C and stereo, floor mats. No need to carry gallon of windshield fluid, as you can wash your windshield at the gas stop. Get lighter wheels.

Overinflate the tires just a little bit and roll up your window.

Make sure you air filter is clean. Make sure your wires and contacts are not corroded. Make sure your spark plugs look good, replace when necessary.

Accelerate slowly and smoothly. Switch gears early. Once accelerated switch to 5th gear to maintain constant speed. Roll to stop signs and downhill - (e.g. by depressing clutch or switching to neutral). Never pass anybody, keep at 55-60 MPH.

Tailgate trucks (dangerous!). Think it is called drafting. There is a pocket of low pressure air and hence low resistance right behind the truck. You have to be real close though. But even staying behind by 100 ft will save you 10% on gas. If you drive in rural areas carefully ignore stop signs (of course make sure there are no cars and cops =) at the intersection!).

knivesout

¬ µ ∫ ç π
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hm, I've found that I get better mileage without using cruise but I think it just depends on the roads you're driving. I can see getting good mileage with cruise on a relatively flat drive.