What to look for in a VTEC solenoid

HonUtd07

It's a Joke
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I just popped the VTEC solenoid off my car, and I was wondering what I should look for. Everything looks really clean, the screen was clear, and that's about it.

The VTEC on my B16 isn't working, and I can't figure out why. No CEL, oil level is good (not sure about the perssure, I don't have the means to check), motor temp. is good, solenoid looks good. I don't know what else I could look at - except for the oil pressure.

silvertuner98

Banned
hotwire the solenoid directly to the battery and see if it clicks. if it does then the solenoid is fine. if it doesnt click then there is a problem. either way, take it off and clean the screen.

5thGenCX

long gearing owns me.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sure you have the right ECU? Sounds stupid I know but i've had that happen to many people I know.. Double check your wiring, and find a way to check the oil pressure.

b16bang

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
check ur vtec fluid

HonUtd07

It's a Joke
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
b16bang said:
check ur vtec fluid
Yeah, I did that and the level looked good. A little low, but I went down to Honda and picked up a quart so it's fine now. I hate going to the dealership to buy that stuff 'cause it's so expensive, but Autozone didn't have any in stock.

When I get some free time, I'm gonna check the zipper valve to make sure it's operating properly.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
WalterRonny said:
remove your vtec solenoid and check it , check rocker arms too..
He already took it off and looked at it. He wants to know WHAT to look for when he checks.

all go no show

Half Retarded
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well, if the solenoid clicks like was said, and you knows its good, and you check the oil pressure and its fine, i think it would have to be electrical.. re-check all your wiring..

Did your vtec STOP working, or are you swapping and have never had it working yet?

WalterRonny

Amante de los EG's
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
NOFX said:
He already took it off and looked at it. He wants to know WHAT to look for when he checks.
Ok, for to know if vtec solenoid work good, do it..

ok, check valve solenoid vtec , if it moves good , ok, check the oil press..

for to check the rocker arms.. do it..

YoungKadafi

Redundant security
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
HonUtd07 said:
Yeah, I did that and the level looked good. A little low, but I went down to Honda and picked up a quart so it's fine now. I hate going to the dealership to buy that stuff 'cause it's so expensive, but Autozone didn't have any in stock.

When I get some free time, I'm gonna check the zipper valve to make sure it's operating properly.
Well hold on, i think the zipper valve, is inside the zipper, we call that the ding dong valve, chances it isnt working properly. I say get ahold of a fuitsnack solenoid and try that out