what transmission fluid/gear oil is best?

ryanM

im doing my 90k tuneup soon and im going to change my transmission fluid, and i dont know what to buy. i hear redline is the best, but i dont know what viscosity to get, can anyone help me?

and also for my tune up im doing: oil/oil filter change, coolant flush, new fuel filter, new air filter (my k&n has holes in it so i bought a AEM dry flow), and cap and rotor. my plugs and wires are still very new, so is there anything i'm missing that i should do/check?

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
honda mtf. its in my $2k built tranny. if the tranny is grinding, run gm syncromesh with friction modfier.

ryanM

handlebarsfsr said:
honda mtf. its in my $2k built tranny. if the tranny is grinding, run gm syncromesh with friction modfier.
so you say no to redline, any reason why?

and how much do i need to buy?

SiGSR

yeaaaay.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Had Redline MTF in mines for about roughly 60K miles now and not a problem yet. Think it was bout 2 1/2 quarts.

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
LongGrain said:
so you say no to redline, any reason why?

and how much do i need to buy?

nothing wrong with redline, but its more $$ and honestly doesnt do anything honda mtf doesnt.

SiGSR

yeaaaay.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
handlebarsfsr said:
nothing wrong with redline, but its more $$ and honestly doesnt do anything honda mtf doesnt.
LoL. Yes I agree. Change it at about 75K and didn't notice any different.

But, on my bros GSR it did improve shifting quite a bit, it was easier to flow through the gears. His was change at 90K however, so I cannot assure whether it was just that the tranny fluid need changing or if Redline improve it.

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
LongGrain said:
what viscosity, should i get 25w80w?
get what the dealer reccomends for your tranny, they are different. if you cant run honda mtf, it says to run 5 or 10w30 motor oil, so id say 80 is too thick. using too thick of a gear oil can cause the bearings to not get adequate lubrication and die.

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
dont get any if you dont know the right one. seriously, just wait till tomarrow, call the dealer, and find out. my local dealer carries the honda specific redline products. or just buy the mtf and not worry about anything. as far as i know honda doesnt list the weight of its mtf.

ryanM

handlebarsfsr said:
dont get any if you dont know the right one. seriously, just wait till tomarrow, call the dealer, and find out. my local dealer carries the honda specific redline products. or just buy the mtf and not worry about anything. as far as i know honda doesnt list the weight of its mtf.
alright, i'll just buy the Honda MTF from IL4, will 4qts be enough?

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
LongGrain said:
alright, i'll just buy the Honda MTF from IL4, will 4qts be enough?

what tranny do you have? my b series took 2.1 quarts.

ryanM

handlebarsfsr said:
what tranny do you have? my b series took 2.1 quarts.
umm, i'm not sure, its stock on my d16y8. sticker on it says k4f but i dont know if thats the right one

silvertuner98

Banned
go to autozone and buy pennzoil synchromesh. there is only 1 type of it. buy it. i run it in mine and its just fine. the shifting is much smoother IMO. i got mine for $5 a quart and used 2 quarts in my s20 (d-series trans). i know many people with hondas that sware by synchromesh, including one who rebuilds them. but do what you want