what trany to get

CacheHX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my 97 civic hx (motor=D16Y5) is about do for a new tranny but i hate my hx trany with the long gears, what other trany do you recomend

Jezek

No Avatar FTW.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
EX tranny?

ooorrrrr sell that poopy motor in favor of something with more liters ;)

P0gKai

B20VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Jezek said:
EX tranny?

ooorrrrr sell that poopy motor in favor of something with more liters ;)
yup, you don't much choices.. just EX or if you want to swap to B series

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You have plenty of choices. Dont listen to the above people ignorantly talking about swapping motors. Looking back on it i should have kept my SOHC. But thats not a discussion for this thread.

For the d series your best options are these: s20 ex/si trans or the s40 ex trans. I prefer the s40 (96-00) because they have steel shifter forks and are for the most part more available and in better conidition. They are in better condition for the simple fact that they have relativley less amount of miles than the 92-95 (s20's). They are more available because they had a 96-00 production. thats 5 years, apposed to the s20 which is 92-95 ( which is 4 years). the final more serious option is to upgrade to a 5.0 final drive ratio. this is more expensive and is alittle over doing it unless you are very interested in getting through the gears quick.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
so from what u are saying the s40 tranny is one of the best d-series trannys? what one has the longest gear ratio so i can go faster on the highway but no have my rpms so high?

k624ash

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I had a d16y8 and the gears where really tall, if thats from the ex then why should he get that for shorter gears? did the 5th gen exs have short gears and the 6th gen exs have tall?

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
k624ash said:
I had a d16y8 and the gears where really tall, if thats from the ex then why should he get that for shorter gears? did the 5th gen exs have short gears and the 6th gen exs have tall?
the ex/si are relativley the same gearing believe it or not. i think the d series trannys in general are low (compared to b series) but that why some people opt for the 5.0 FD custom setup.

s40 ex is the best imho because of the steel shifter forks, and they are more available and have less miles. yes

the longest geared d series tranny (that is an s40) is the d16y7 hatchback tranny.

silvertuner98

Banned
hatch said:
the ex/si are relativley the same gearing believe it or not. i think the d series trannys in general are low (compared to b series) but that why some people opt for the 5.0 FD custom setup.

s40 ex is the best imho because of the steel shifter forks, and they are more available and have less miles. yes

the longest geared d series tranny (that is an s40) is the d16y7 hatchback tranny.
advantages of the s40 b000 over the s20 b000 are the steel shift forks that wont shatter =)

disadvantages are the s40 shift forks bend and chew up the gears.

as well the s20 b000 from the civic SI hatchback has a higher ratio 5th gear (ie lower top speed but gets there quicker) then the s20 b000 from the civic EX

im running a s20 from the si and couldnt be happier

Inigo Montoya