What Turbo Size to use?

AjPetrarca23

5+ Year Member
im trying to find out what size t3 turbo to use for my SOHC ex setup that will be running 7psi. i know that some of the t3 turbos are way to big for my motor and dont even really make boost.

UPDATE!!

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you want quick spool for a daily driver pick up a t3 with a .48exhaust housing
i have that for my b series and its a quick spooler and im sure with a d series it'll be even faster

TiiM iiS l3eAsT

Scamming Piece Of s**t
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
look for a 42/48 turbo......made by Garrett or AiResearch .....usually can be found on a saab

AjPetrarca23

5+ Year Member
.57 COMPRESSOR WHEEL TRIM

.50 A/R COMPRESSOR

.63 A/R TURBINE

that is what i have in my car now and it doesnt spool up like i want. will i see much of a difference if i get the 42/48.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im runin a t3/t4 .57 trim. full boost about 5,000 rpm...but thats on a block thats like 8.5:1 compression

xxsenceo89x

aka superman
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
.57 COMPRESSOR WHEEL TRIM

.50 A/R COMPRESSOR

.63 A/R TURBINE

that is what i have in my car now and it doesnt spool up like i want. will i see much of a difference if i get the 42/48.
with the 42/48 i had 10psi by 3k with 8.5-1 compression

edit: dont shoot for a psi. 7psi on the turbo you have now isnt going to be the same 7psi as the one your going to put on.

AjPetrarca23

5+ Year Member
the turbo i have now isnt even making good boost at all. i thought it was too big for motor.

so i should get the 42/48?

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you do get it you'll spool up quicker..but the top end will be pretty flat

TiiM iiS l3eAsT

Scamming Piece Of s**t
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
garret is airresearch
well no s**t lol but some turbos say garrett on them and some say airesearch on them.....

what brand is your turbo.....i might trade you turbos.....im looking for somethen a lil bigger

djrenok

Titanium-Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
im runin a t3/t4 .57 trim. full boost about 5,000 rpm...but thats on a block thats like 8.5:1 compression
Same here, just throw in some vitaras and custom I beam rods to bring compression down to 8.5.1 and go with a 53 trim. thats what i got. Pulls hard from 4-7K

AjPetrarca23

5+ Year Member
So i put the 42/48 turbo in. its alot better but im still not fully satified. im untuned now. how much of a difference in HP will i feel after my tune.

codyllee

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
About 43.35 more whp.... i really hope you are not making any full-throttle pulls being untuned and all. Do you have a wideband to monitor your a/f ratios? Getting tuned will yield a big difference!

AjPetrarca23

5+ Year Member
i dont even really feel that much boost right now being untuned. idk what the prob. is everything is hooked up right with no boost leaks

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
is your motor built? most y8's dont have problems making power, or boost, or feel, or pull with a 57/63

AjPetrarca23

5+ Year Member
no its not built. ima just get a tune and see what happens. or just take it to someone who can figure it out.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^it just probably needs a good tune.. what turbo were you running before this one?