What type of oil are you using with your turbo-B

NOSCivic13

5+ Year Member
I have a little dilema right now.... there are a lot of people around my way that have mixed feelings about the kind of oil to used in a turbo B-series. I'm only pushing 6lbs but Im still being cautious. Ive been using 20w-50 the last few months.This is where the dilema comes in to play, a friend spun a bearing at the track last summer and switched to 20w-50. Another friend has had a couple turbo-B series and always used 10w-30. I could go on and on about the different types of oil for different set-ups, but I'd like to know what some other GSR/ B16/ LS-turbo guys are using and what kind of problems that they have had....if any. I appreciate it :D

--<EM1>--

boosted ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
5-30 or 10-30 i think works fine in b-series motors. i use mobil1 full synthetic 5-30

NOSCivic13

5+ Year Member
appreciate the input guys=) I might not have clarified that the reason that I started the thread is because a friend spun a bearing with 10w-30 in his B-series with boost. Im wondering if anyone else experienced the same problem or have any recommendations after a certain amount of boost???;)

AMR Engineering

5+ Year Member
If your bearings are within OEM spec then 10-30 is what I have always ran. Non Sythentic, and I change it every 3,000 miles. I have them flush the motor probably every 10-12 oil changes. I do not change my oil myself since I do not have the time to, and a oil change can be pretty cheap especially if you have coupons from the local paper.

Kingjames83

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my buddy runs the royal purple oil! I think thats the name of the s**t!
in my b16 I run castrol 10-30

shoemaker617

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
NOSCivic13 said:
I have a little dilema right now.... there are a lot of people around my way that have mixed feelings about the kind of oil to used in a turbo B-series. I'm only pushing 6lbs but Im still being cautious. Ive been using 20w-50 the last few months.This is where the dilema comes in to play, a friend spun a bearing at the track last summer and switched to 20w-50. Another friend has had a couple turbo-B series and always used 10w-30. I could go on and on about the different types of oil for different set-ups, but I'd like to know what some other GSR/ B16/ LS-turbo guys are using and what kind of problems that they have had....if any. I appreciate it :D
5-30 is too thin, Im gonna use 5-40 full synthetic in my turbo B. 20-50 is good for the track only,way to thick for a daily driver. Synthetic is a must when turbo charging.IMO

Last edited:

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Under operating temperatures and pressure 5W30 and 10W30 are identical. 5W30 is thinner and circulates faster on initial start up. 10W30 does stay in grade a little longer but that's only a concern with conventional motor oils.

In my turbo car, I use Castrol Syntec 5W30 every 5000 miles. $20 for 5 qts at WallyWorld. Daimler Chrysler recommends Mobil 1 5W30 exclusively for the SRT/4 and PT Cruiser GT but Castrol is usually about 2-3 bucks cheaper and I know Castrol to be of good quality.

In my GS-R? I use whatever major brand name 5qt jug of 5W30 is cheapest. Lately it's been Quaker State. It was like $8.97 for 5 quarts. Less than 2 bucks a quart! I put 4 in and save the last quart because I loves me some vtec and my engine loves to consume some oil on vtec. :lol:

SiRcivic27

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Mobile 1 5-30, because I just boosted if I start getting some oil consumption I'm going to jump up to 10-30 because its thicker.

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Beelzebubba said:
Under operating temperatures and pressure 5W30 and 10W30 are identical. 5W30 is thinner and circulates faster on initial start up. 10W30 does stay in grade a little longer but that's only a concern with conventional motor oils.

In my turbo car, I use Castrol Syntec 5W30 every 5000 miles. $20 for 5 qts at WallyWorld. Daimler Chrysler recommends Mobil 1 5W30 exclusively for the SRT/4 and PT Cruiser GT but Castrol is usually about 2-3 bucks cheaper and I know Castrol to be of good quality.

In my GS-R? I use whatever major brand name 5qt jug of 5W30 is cheapest. Lately it's been Quaker State. It was like $8.97 for 5 quarts. Less than 2 bucks a quart! I put 4 in and save the last quart because I loves me some vtec and my engine loves to consume some oil on vtec. :lol:

lol maybe you should have the left over oil in the jug and write "VTEC FLUID" on it.

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
mobil1 sythetic 5w30

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Kaotic_Zeus said:
lol maybe you should have the left over oil in the jub and write "VTEC FLUID" on it.
VTEC FLUID! CLASSIC!!! :bluelol:

I am so going to do that.