What upgrades should i do first?

Mikeroch2

I have a 1991 Honda civic lx sedan 1.5 sohc and i want to upgrade it what should i do first and what parts are best?

Ej8Kid

Too Much Traction
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you want to keep it: invest in an alarm, kill switch, steering wheel club, and clutch lock lol do it.

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you want to keep it: invest in an alarm, kill switch, steering wheel club, and clutch lock lol do it.
had a EF get stollen from you???

any way OP, got any pics of the car so we can see what you are starting with?

is the car atleast 98% mechanically solid?

and here is a question that might seem odd but i promise it means a good bit... what are your normall driving habits? how do you drive when you ENJOY driving?

answer those things and ill through some knowledge your way. btw i really like the EF's id trade my eg for one if i could find one in the same condition as maine lol

Ej8Kid

Too Much Traction
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
had a EF get stollen from you???
No, none of my cars have ever gotten stolen. But its sad to hear that people put hard earned cash into their car just to get it stolen. EFs are cheap, but if OP didn't care about his car then he wouldn't modify it or even join this forum.

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
No, none of my cars have ever gotten stolen. But its sad to hear that people put hard earned cash into their car just to get it stolen. EFs are cheap, but if OP didn't care about his car then he wouldn't modify it or even join this forum.
this is very true, thats kinda like my car, i dont lock it very often because i know they wont want a shell of a car (in most cases)

and the only thing i have in there is a head unit and a 10" sub, and both of those were cheap so id rather then open the car and take it then bust a window... how ever once suspension and a motor go in there, im ganna make sure i lock it, use a battery kill to the ignition, and park were theres a MF-ing servalance camera.

im also a firm believer in karma, and that ideal that "if they need it bad enough to steal it then they must need it more then i do"

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you just got the car recently, check it over bumper to bumper and fix what needs to be fixed first.

As far as mods, your best bet to get your car where you want and with as little money as possible is to think about what you want to do with your car, come up with a budget and come up with a plan for it. Throwing money at random parts is the worst thing you can do. Search the forums and do your research. Goolge is your best friend.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you just got the car recently, check it over bumper to bumper and fix what needs to be fixed first.

As far as mods, your best bet to get your car where you want and with as little money as possible is to think about what you want to do with your car, come up with a budget and come up with a plan for it. Throwing money at random parts is the worst thing you can do. Search the forums and do your research. Goolge is your best friend.
x2. Maintenance should come first.

A lot of people come on here asking what they should do first when ultimately it's your decision. It depends on what you want the car to be.

emerican

Registered VIP
^ agree with both of aboves. Make sure the car is 100 percent mechanically sound, then come up with a budget and what you are looking for out of the car then go from there.
Also welcome to cc.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This question "what should I do first/now?" comes up quite often. Read, research and read some more before jumping right in, not knowing what you're doing and hopefully keep you from wasting money, buying the wrong parts, then getting in over your head and having to sell the half done, hacked up "project".

The old saying, "Measure twice, cut once..." applies.

Since you may not know much about the car, get it running as best as possible in its current stage. A basic tune-up is in order.
Replace:
-Distributor cap and rotor
-Spark plugs & wires
-All filters (air, fuel, oil)

Fix anything broken, replace and maintain EVERYTHING as much as possible, spark plugs, brakes, bushings, belts, bearings, ball joints, & fluids. Replacing what needs to be maintained gives you a certain point of reference of what exactly has now been done and shouldn't have to be worried about for a while, instead of guessing or waiting for something to break unexpectedly. It also gets you to know and understand various parts of the car, knowledge that will help you for the rest of your life.

Get used to the way it drives, the way it handles, the way it performs... after you get used to it, then go for something bigger, IE; engine swap, rebuild, turbo, etc.
Be patient and start reading, searching, planning and saving for whatever project you come up with. Don't cut corners or cheap out. Most importantly, there is a lot of false information running around on the World wide web, be careful and do lots of searches to compare answers.