What would you do 2 your civic with $3000 (engine mods)

barcafan_84

jdmfan_84
5+ Year Member
Guys i have $3000 to spend on engine mods, my goal was 2 be a B18C 98 spec type r engine boosted, but as time goes on i fill that i cant reach that goal, so in matters on engine mods what would you do if you had a 98 dx with completely stock engine, no power whatsoever (slow as f**k). I'm askin the experts and enthusiast for engine mods options which i can reach with 3g's:?:

Scorchsta

huh?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I would either boost the D or swap in a LS and boost that.

chinkyeyedemcee

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
single cam boost betteR

good turbo kit good tune get a some v-tak

barcafan_84

jdmfan_84
5+ Year Member
single cam boost betteR

good turbo kit good tune get a some v-tak
not bad idea, tell me though would ls vtec boosted reach 250 easily or not?
s**t, when ls vtec subject comes up, i'm the one who just nods his head like he understands but is really in (idkwtfuta) i dont know what the f**k ur takin about!!! jajaja noob, do know what ls vtec is, but dont know the power oportunities are!!

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you can find a cheap ls, then find a used turbo kit on ebay, probly for well under 2k.

chinkyeyedemcee

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
not bad idea, tell me though would ls vtec boosted reach 250 easily or not?
s**t, when ls vtec subject comes up, i'm the one who just nods his head like he understands but is really in (idkwtfuta) i dont know what the f**k ur takin about!!! jajaja noob, do know what ls vtec is, but dont know the power oportunities are!!
ls-v is a good motor when done right

not for high revs, good torque

b series will cost more to boost properly. and u also have to pick up a new tranny to. s**t get's expensive for b series once u start breaking s**t

single cam boost is dope. it's cheaper. and u can find parts anywhere and everywhere. and i done seen boosted single cams just f**kin spank!

single is the number #1 most under rated motor. u can pull huge numbers out of em and u also carry much less wait with a single cam then a dually.

Astheros

AMPhotography
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ls-vtec is too much maintenance if not done right.
i would just boost the d....do some minor buildup....vitara setup maybe
and boost with a used kit or a pieced together kit.

i am in the same scenario as you...i am getting 5k in about 1 month from my parents due to s**t between them.

ive always wanted boosted h22 but too much money.

for 3k you can see high 200's probably with a mild/smart build and a used/pieced kit.

or you can just front a little more and get the edelbrock kit and play it safe.

but def boost the d series

charles_00Civic

CC'S Longest Running Noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
-head studs
-y8 head gasket (if you have the y7)
-d16y8 transmission (if not equipt)
-rods and pistons (vitara pistons work well bored however I have heard of clearance issues on the y7 block)
-BOOST. small t3 turbo or something.. some dsm goodies etc.
-Get a mugen twin loop muffler and get a shop to mandrel bend and make an exhaust.. or just buy one or something.. lol.

This MIGHT go over 3,000 and probably will... but its the cheapest way to go...

gleaminrimz

5+ Year Member
if you dont want to turbo your car you could always jus upgrade your internals, cams and camshafts. add a spoon outlet manifold, add a better intake manifold with a larger throttle body, then add a cold air intake kit and then finally add a performance exhaust. (this should all come under $3K). i would also lower the car (professionally using a good set of coilovers) add a shifter bushing set and you should be all set.

with al the mods mentioned above it should take you bhp from 100 to an estimated 160-180bhp.

even though you wont have a b series under the hood, because you engine weighs half the amount of a B you should be able to whoop ass. lol

also you might want to look into ECU's too.

let me know what you think

Blk05Civic

Reppin HX
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
stay SOHC

vitara pistons - $130 (normal size with some good rings) u can find those on honda-tech
eagle rods - $250ish (yes clearance issue, the block needs to be knotched, better than LS rods)
pieced together turbo kit - about $1000 for some good parts
p28 chipped +jumper - $130 if you know where to look
good tune and s**t - $500

run 10 psi with a good tune with those internals

total = $2010

still around $1000 to buy more internals and boost more :D
maybe a vtec head and EX transmission

should be decent

didnt realize it was bone stock, might wanna throw on an exhaust for a couple hundred bucks too. still about $800 left

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
stay SOHC

vitara pistons - $130 (normal size with some good rings) u can find those on honda-tech
eagle rods - $250ish (yes clearance issue, the block needs to be knotched, better than LS rods)
pieced together turbo kit - about $1000 for some good parts
p28 chipped +jumper - $130 if you know where to look
good tune and s**t - $500

run 10 psi with a good tune with those internals

total = $2010

still around $1000 to buy more internals and boost more :D
maybe a vtec head and EX transmission

should be decent

didnt realize it was bone stock, might wanna throw on an exhaust for a couple hundred bucks too. still about $800 left
thats what i was going to pretty much suggest.

what part of FL you in?

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have heard that the Honda element engine bolts easy and creates a lot of torque
i heard the viper srt10 motor is a snug fit in a 96-00 and almost out torques the element motor

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i heard the viper srt10 motor is a snug fit in a 96-00 and almost out torques the element motor
Are you trying to be a smart ass or a dumb ass? Cause smart ass really isn't working.

solodc

5+ Year Member
s**t, with 3g, i would tell you to get AEM Cold air intake plus TURBO other then that is all on you.