what would you guys do????help me build this car.

hotrodstu77

5+ Year Member
anyways the story goes i just got my hands on a sweet 95 LX. now im new to honda, as my last vehicle was a 240sx KA24DET, so im all into the turbo scene. im also keeping my mind open to vtec and all motor. so anyways, if you were me and you had this clean palet to work with what would you do if your tryin to keep it on a budget. im basically tryin to get to 175-200 horse whether its a motor swap or a turbo build or both. im not lookin to spend a gagilllion dollars or anything. i just want something fun to drive that will give my buddies 08 cooper S a good run. i have no idea what is involved in which motor swaps for this chassis. so if you could just point me in the direction the most cost effective way to reach 175-200 horse. that would be much appreciated guys. im also new to the forum so i hope to meet some helpfull members here. ive been browsing and seen some nice 5th gens. anyways here's some pics! help me out!

see what i mean about being clean. not one spot of rust on the hole freakin car!

94-civic-si

de-riced daily driver
5+ Year Member
I'll tell you what someone on redline9.com told me when I asked the same question.
Keep your original D16z6 and boost it ! D series can handle up to about 12 psi on stock internals.
Or, you could swap a b16, b18, or h22. Those are all "bolt in" swaps that can be done on a 5th gen civic.

I was told this would be a good set-up :

d16z6 or ZC vtec
Greddy turbo System w/ e-manage
310 cc injectors
walboro 255lph Fuel pump
front mount intercooler
any brand intercooler piping w/ BOV flange
Good brand street clutch and lightened flywheel ( ACT, fidanza, or whatever)

KTeller downpipe for the Greddy Turbo System
KTeller 3" exhaust system
Adjustable Fuel pressure regulator
2.5" to 3" test pipe

hotrodstu77

5+ Year Member
I'll tell you what someone on redline9.com told me when I asked the same question.
Keep your original D16z6 and boost it ! D series can handle up to about 12 psi on stock internals.
Or, you could swap a b16, b18, or h22. Those are all "bolt in" swaps that can be done on a 5th gen civic.

I was told this would be a good set-up :

d16z6 or ZC vtec
Greddy turbo System w/ e-manage
310 cc injectors
walboro 255lph Fuel pump
front mount intercooler
any brand intercooler piping w/ BOV flange
Good brand street clutch and lightened flywheel ( ACT, fidanza, or whatever)

KTeller downpipe for the Greddy Turbo System
KTeller 3" exhaust system
Adjustable Fuel pressure regulator
2.5" to 3" test pipe
so what kind of grand total would i be lookin at here for that build which sounds very reasonable and fun.
my buddy can get me a stock eclipse turbo or a 14b that he has layin around. that would probably lessen the cost of the whole build.
this also has to pass emissions.
and im pretty sure the LX only came with the D15B7 but i could be wrong. i would go check myself but the car is at a buddies.

94-civic-si

de-riced daily driver
5+ Year Member
well, the greddy turbo kit is around $1500-$2000. It comes with everything needed to go turbo.
http://www.titanmotorsports.com/grtukit92cis.html It comes with a 15g turbo.
not sure on the prices of the other stuff like the exhaust, injectors and fp.
just search google and ebay.

If you're making less then 250hp tuned then you can keep the engine stock.
If your engine has more than 100,000 miles on it don't push anymore than 6lbs of boost.
You can get a low mileage jdm sohc vtec 1.6 usually for less than $1000 shipped.
low mileage jdm engines are a good start if you wanna boost it.
The setup I mentioned above should give you about 225-240 hp with a good dyno tune
@ 11-14 psi. 15 psi is the max for the turbo in the greddy kit.
This is what I learned from a guy over at redline9.com who once had a sweet
d16z6 turbo and is now currently doing another d16z6 turbo. This time he is doing it from the ground up and taking any short cuts. He is very knowledgeable with boosting the d series.

hotrodstu77

5+ Year Member
k well im pretty sure its a d15B7 and its got 300000kms on it lol. so should i just cut my losses with it and drop a different motor in or what?

hotrodstu77

5+ Year Member
according to this site and wikipedia the canadian models came with the d15b7 and according to others there isnt a turbo kit for them and the rods are basically toothpicks so i guess i just answered my original question didnt i. looks like ill go all show and no go for a while till i can afford a new motor.

96swpdEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^ holy s**t, oversized sig...

anyways OP, turbo D will probably be the most cost effective route to 200 hp...

dont buy a whole kit tho, piece together a turbo kit, you can find plenty of info here and on some other forums as well...

hotrodstu77

5+ Year Member
i still will have to find a d16z6 and then peice together a kit. ill keep lookin around on here but honestly it may be easier to find one of those drop in motors and then turbo that or run it NA ill have to look around and see what motors i got layin around

Rountreesj

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
tell you what...I'll sell you my d16z6 for $1000 plus shipping. jk...but seriously if you want it, bone stock with 183k on it...

EG Hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hey, op... you live 2 hrs away from me, pm me, i have a d16y8 sitting in my garage. also, i have a turboed d15b7 hatch that rapes b16's. i have beat some mazdaspeed protoges, one modded and one not. few other odd vehicles. anyway, my 2 cents is... turbo and you would beat him. TUNE