whats the supmtoms of the trans axles going

racing_4_life

5+ Year Member
whats the symptoms of the trans axles going

whats up ,

i was wondering what the symptoms of the trans axles going.

can any one tell me and would it make noises or mess performance up.

thanks

JL

Doodoo Brown Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There would be a knocking sound mostly when turning. No damage should occur until it breaks but when it does, you'll wish you spent the 75 bucks to replace (DIY).

Wait4it

5+ Year Member
do you mean the Transaxle AKA FWD transmission or the drive axles that turn the wheels?

racing_4_life

5+ Year Member
when i have them installed is there a way to tell if my trans is going or do i need top take the trans out to see if its bad.its a manual 5 speed.so when i have my trans axles replaced can they see or tell if my trans is bad or do they have to do a different test.becouse the mecanic said when he took them off he could tell my trans is shot.is that possable to check that by changing the trans axles

Wait4it

5+ Year Member
im not trying to be a jerk or anything but for future reference they're called drive axles, a transaxle is the proper name for a front wheel drive transmission

you're not really able to see too much by taking the axles out, only the splines of the diff, I guess if you see a lot of metal shavings in the fluid, you could assume the trans is damaged internally. I get a funny noise in my trans when i'm engine braking and thats because a bearing inside my trans came apart . Ask the mechanic exactly why he says its shot. BTW how many miles are on the car