whats wrong with my car ???

Coilovers

i got a 90 si,
it starts up fine, but when i drive it, it drives very slow and sounds different.
5th gear i can get it up to 55 mph, this started happening after
i drove to east coast honda meet, about 200 miles there and back

CivicxTree754

Registered VIP
Any codes (CEL)? Loss of power can be alot of things, low fuel pressure,vacuum leak,etc

b16lewis

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If your catalytic converter is stopped up, which it sounds like it is, um bolting the cat will allow the engine to breath. The only reason I say do this is because I seen this a thousand times where a customer would come in explain the same thing you said. Then tell me that they replaced all kinds of s**t and you tell then it is the cat they are like that is not possible. So just undo the two bolts at where the header meets the cat and go around the block.

RealRabbit

Registered VIP
If your catalytic converter is stopped up, which it sounds like it is, um bolting the cat will allow the engine to breath. The only reason I say do this is because I seen this a thousand times where a customer would come in explain the same thing you said. Then tell me that they replaced all kinds of s**t and you tell then it is the cat they are like that is not possible. So just undo the two bolts at where the header meets the cat and go around the block.
Actually great advice. A lot of people want to throw parts at it first. Keep it simple and try the free stuff. I've seen this plenty of times as well. The newer expeditions are real bad about it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Coilovers

If your catalytic converter is stopped up, which it sounds like it is, um bolting the cat will allow the engine to breath. The only reason I say do this is because I seen this a thousand times where a customer would come in explain the same thing you said. Then tell me that they replaced all kinds of s*** and you tell then it is the cat they are like that is not possible. So just undo the two bolts at where the header meets the cat and go around the block.
i just lifted my car and it looks like my cat is welded on.....

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
GO GET THE CELL PULLED. jesus man. your car is telling you somthing is wrong, and your sitting here asking people that have never seen nor drove the car what we think is wrong, 99% of these people on here are kids, and know no more than you,they are just guessing and using google to make it sound like they know what they are talking about.. go to a autoparts store, plug the thing in, and get the code then we can try to help you, but as of right now who knows its a very vague description that could be a number of things.

b16lewis

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok first of all you just don't go to the damn auto parts store and pull the codes on the 88-91 civic. Second of all yes there are alot of kids on here but you should think before you speak. Some of us are ase master techs who have got more time on a ratchet then you do siting in the seat of a car. You sure as hell did not give this person very good advise so the best thing to do is keep out of something until you can give positive advise.

Vtecboss00

Yea it sounds like your cat is clugged, most people just beat the honey comb out of it, so they dont run into that problem, on older cars, it dont effect emissons, just got to show that a cat is there. does your car run ruff at all, or just wont pass 55mph?

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Ok first of all you just don't go to the damn auto parts store and pull the codes on the 88-91 civic. Second of all yes there are alot of kids on here but you should think before you speak. Some of us are ase master techs who have got more time on a ratchet then you do siting in the seat of a car. You sure as hell did not give this person very good advise so the best thing to do is keep out of something until you can give positive advise.
first off, im i-car, and ase certified, and worked in a honda dealership for over 4 years, then on to a cadi dealership

second, i didnt see the part about it being a 90 civic

third, no, most of you are not ase master techs, most of you are mommy and daddys basement mechanics, that wouldnt know a ratchet from a lug wrech. so think before you speak also ;)

fourth, look under the carpet on the passenger side to see the ecu. turn the
ignition on, but dont turn motor over. and count the number of flashes of the red led visible through the window of the ecu. then report back to us partna

b16lewis

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What ever dude, my party check and my car show other wise. But dude with the car issue you still need to gave it fixed regardless if the pissing match. O by the way just renewed my ase master, plus 13 years

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
been doin it since 01 , you want a cookie?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:popcorn:

Sent from my Butthole using Fart power!

Hektic

doing it.
hilarious thread.... and yeah man, go get the codes checked out first off. no one can possibly tell you what the problem is by the basic description. and if I were you I would definitely invest in a Hayne's manual or Chilton's....a good guideline for DIY fixes of most types, or at least it gives you a basic idea of what you should be doing