What's your favorite road you've ever driven?

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
please provide a map (google maps link) and photos if possible

here are my two personal favorites, thus far:

tail of the dragon - this is located at deal's gap, across the borders of tennessee and north carolina, in the smokey mountains. many of you are probably familiar with this road. i had the good fortune of driving this back in the summer of 2010 during a southern mini-vacation.

google map: http://g.co/maps/sx53k

photo (not taken by me):

camino santa martina - this is located in my home city of santiago, chile. it rides on the spine of the hill range. yes, those hairpins are as fun and crazy as they look, especially with the elevation drop.

google map: http://g.co/maps/kcycp
photos (not taken by me):

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's Sick Anfrey! :thumbup:

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i can actually pinpoint where my house was in that first sta martina photo.. see that smaller hill right above the shadowed area? i lived right at the foot of it, towards the right =)

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
here you go. there are a ton of roads in the area that are great this one is amazing, you climb through lassen national park

but there are about 3 to 5 other roads that i love driving, this one just has my interest right now

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The autobahn!!! im too lazy to find a map. so ill just explain which parts of it i drove on. From the france border to Stuttgart, from Stuttgart to Holland. Something like 500km. maybe ill add a map later

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
please include google map links so we can check them out =)

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Wow I wish we had roads like that..... There are a lot of fun turns around here but no fun roads.

If it counts, I did 9 laps on Watkings Glen International last year lol. I drove 6 and my friend drove 3. Going again this year in April. If I don't end up taking my car, I wanna ride with him in his 2011 WRX hatch. That thing is awesome.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Wow I wish we had roads like that..... There are a lot of fun turns around here but no fun roads.

If it counts, I did 9 laps on Watkings Glen International last year lol. I drove 6 and my friend drove 3. Going again this year in April. If I don't end up taking my car, I wanna ride with him in his 2011 WRX hatch. That thing is awesome.
so jelly, I'd love to drive at WGI sometime in my life. does it cost as lot to get seat time there?

[SGH-T989/Tapatalk]

connies96hatchie

Reinvent Your Shell!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Pretty much any back road in North Carolina since I lived there for 16 years. I enjoy driving through the Blue Ridge Mountains and Appalachian Mountains from Southern PA to Northern Georgia.

We use to take this way in the early to mid 80's just for the views from Brooklyn, NY to Asheville, NC.

Lots of curves and views. Great for photographers.

Asheville to Grandfather mountain is another good curvy adventure. Even Asheville to Boone and Lake Toxaway to Sylva.
(Google is a homo and won't let me post the picture so here is the link.)
http://g.co/maps/kyuhs

Highway 64 from Asheville/Hendersonville Airport to Cashiers, NC. Hour and 15 minutes one way of pure fun I had in my Integra and Malibu.

I honestly don't care for Tail of the Dragon because it's too highly populated and I enjoy looking for different roads to cruise on. I use to drive back and forth from Pigeon Forge, TN to Asheville, NC on I-40 doing 80 to 110mph without braking unless some jerk-off was in a blocking lane. I still know to this day where all the state troopers hang out and at what times. The best time is a Sunday morning.

Now I look forward to it in April when I go to visit my parents for my 30th birthday on vacation. Thanks Anfrey. :lol: I miss home more than ever now. :cry:

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
so jelly, I'd love to drive at WGI sometime in my life. does it cost as lot to get seat time there?

[SGH-T989/Tapatalk]
I actually don't know what the regular rate is to get in for actual racing. But if you ever have the desire and time, you should come over for opening weekend. $25 for 3 laps. Only thing is you can't pass each other and you follow a pace car :(. I still got my car up to 100 last year which is still nice lol.

I think the coolest part aside from being on a real race track is driving on the rumble strips :lol:. I've always wanted to after watching videos and playing video games :rolf:.

I may be picking up a GoPro HD Hero2 as well so hopefully they let me mount it on the car if I get it and bring it.

CJ89

No title needed :)
Registered VIP
Blue Ridge Parkway is my favorite road. I lived 4 min from a entrance to it for 20 years and drove it more times than I can begin to count. I know the sweet spots where there are no cops and next to know traffic. And plus its just relaxing up there. Any time I had crap on my mind that's where I would go. The tail of the dragon is another favorite. The only problem there tho is it is always a hit or miss to catch it on a off day with little traffic.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Holy hell Anf. I have to make my way over to those places sometime! They look amazing!

I'll have to think about some of the roads around here. I know of a couple short, local roads. But getting maps/pics will be hard :???:

I will say though one road I really want to drive on is that one in Romania from Top Gear :drive:

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
come over for opening weekend. $25 for 3 laps. Only thing is you can't pass each other and you follow a pace car :(. I still got my car up to 100 last year which is still nice lol.
That's what we did. We were with a group from a local forum, but didn't have to pay anything.
Running a stock-ish Crx, the restrictions didn't bother me, it was fine and still fun.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I probably saw you there last year then but didn't recognize the car.

Assault800

I like snow.
Registered VIP
There's an old gravel road up in the hills behind my town, I LOVE driving that road.

Doesn't show up on a map as a road, due to tree cover and being a gravel road almost no one uses, but in the pic below, it starts at about the R on the far right side, winds down to around the "leary's" (not a town, actually a bunch of land owned by that family, lots of history I won't get into) winds around some more to the "Babcock keeps going down to "st. Lupicin" then winds back around (like a u-turn) to "Babcock" (you don't have to do the u-turn, but I do) the follows the dark tree line out to the "al" on the far left.

Sorry for the big long story lol. I wish I could zoom in closer but the detail is crap closer.

That whole area is filled with huge hills and valleys, from the lowest point to the highest I'd say it changes about 2500-3500 ft. It's pretty awesome. Great views. I'll try and get video and pics if it sometime this summer.

CJ89

No title needed :)
Registered VIP
Ill post some pics of the stretch of the BRP that I use to drive almost every week when I get home

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Assault800

I like snow.
Registered VIP
Basically any gravel/dirt road with twists and turns is my favorite road haha. Especially if it rained and is now mud.