wheel weight questions

bmac9269

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so i have the typical 2 gram wheel weight on the outside lip of the wheel. i found the weights that go inside the wheel that are stick on but are in ounces. i figured out the conversion and everything but do i need to put any more or less weight on because it on a different location on the wheel? thanks everybody

civicSIcoupe

All Day, Every Day
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
are you using a wheel balancing machine..

civicSIcoupe

All Day, Every Day
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dont put wheel weights on your wheels if you arent using a machine.. you would have no clue where exactly they go and how much exactly needs to go on, this goes for inner and outer lip; stick on or hammer on

civicSIcoupe

All Day, Every Day
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
also with a machine you can change the settings for different offset wheels, or you can change the settings to if you want to do an outside hammer on weight and an inside stick on one (like you do), or many other options im not going to bother listing unless you want to know..

terceltyler

The Silver Bullet
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I suggest you take them to a tire shop or someone who owns a wheel balancer. If you fool around with this without a balance machine you risk having a severe imbalance causing wheel vibrating and possibly wearing your tires irregularly.

civicSIcoupe

All Day, Every Day
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well you can have:
hammer on weight on both sides
hammer on on outer lip only
hammer on on outer lip stick on on inside
stick on on the outside only
stick on on both sides
stick on in the middle of the rim
stick on on the outside and hammer on on the inside
i think theres a few i might have missed but i cant think of them right now...
all of the different positions depend on if the inner/outer lip can fit a hammer on weight, the offset of the rim, the type of rim (sometimes theres specific settings for alloys, etc), the customers preference (if they want to see a weight or not), which is recommended for that style of rim, etc etc

civicSIcoupe

All Day, Every Day
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I suggest you take them to a tire shop or someone who owns a wheel balancer. If you fool around with this without a balance machine you risk having a severe imbalance causing wheel vibrating and possibly wearing your tires irregularly.
yeah for damn sure. it can cause a very uncomfortable ride, uneven tire wear, vibrations at certain mph/kmph, and even thinks such as bending a rim slightly or causing faster wheel bearing wear than normal..

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I have honestly NEVER heard of someone trying to balance a tire without a machine....

bmac9269

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ya guys im not trying to balance it so relax i just had an honest question