wheels shakes after 70mph...

civic98ek

Registered VIP
I recently put 4 brand new tires on my 98 ek and had all tires balanced and got it aligned... before the alignment the wheel would shake if i went over 55 now it shakes if i go over 70. someone suggested it might be my tie rod ends... or is my alignment still not right... Any suggestions?

thanks, Laura <3

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I recently put 4 brand new tires on my 98 ek and had all tires balanced and got it aligned... before the alignment the wheel would shake if i went over 55 now it shakes if i go over 70. someone suggested it might be my tie rod ends... or is my alignment still not right... Any suggestions?

thanks, Laura <3
In my experience mine would shake right around 80. Got my tires balanced and the problem went away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Usually:

- Shaking while not braking = wheel balance issue
- Shaking while braking = brake issue

After that, it could be a variety of other things but either of the two above are the usual cases.

civic98ek

Registered VIP
well the wheels were balanced i guess ill take it back and b***h that somethins wrong. it shakes while braking but i need rotors thats the problem there but it does it not braking too.

JeffBel

Registered VIP
You might not even need rotors, its a good idea to replace them but ypically your pads get low and start to pick up the tiny warps in the rotor. My accord and teg both only needed pads.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It could be any number of things, including:
-Tie rod
-Wheel bearing
-Bent wheel
-unbalanced wheels
-bent axles
-lugs tight
-ball joints

Basically, I'd get the car on a lift and have it checked over, starting with the simplest things first.

RonJ

Banned
Start by having the wheels rebalanced and replacing the front brake rotors. Then go from there.

Synyster024

Yea i know in the summer with my alloy rims on my tracker i get no shaking at all but with my winter steelies i get shaking at higher speeds. Both are properly balanced and i've got no other underlying problems with the vehichle.

civic98ek

Registered VIP
i just put my summer wheels on. my winter steelies were bent but i knew it would shake with the summer wheels until i got an alignment. didnt cheap out on tires either and im running rota slips their not too bad but could be bent cuz the roads in pennsylvania are terribleeeee but i am gunna put it on a lift and check everything out. tie rod ends arent too expensive so i might just replace them, well see what happens..

CraigJamez42

definitly take that ish back and tell them to fix it right. dont let them get over on you cuz your a girl either. i live in the same area and shops constantly try to make more money off women. i've worked in a couple. my guess tho? balanced wheels then rotors then maybe wheel bearing?

civic98ek

Registered VIP
this might be stupied but can it me moter mounts?? :what:
motor mounts are pretty shot actually but never really considered that to be the problem but idk.... I am gunna take that s**t baack tho cuz the place i took it DID try to screw me over with prices cuz im a girl. needless to say, he was pretty shocked when i told him to go to hell haha

Bredsox24

I had the same issue typically if its not your allignment or your tie rods try checking your axel joints. This is pretty common especially if you havent checked your boot in a while.