When Did You Replace Your Timing Belt?

chunktwo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
did my girls car at like 95k.. car was bought used.. so i wasnt sure what was done to the car previously..
if you got some friends and know-how i say do it your self...

i did it with a friend.. and neither of us had done a timing belt install before

rsboy

5+ Year Member
Wow.. some pretty good mileage on the original timing belts. My uncle's Civic HX has over 120K on his original timing belt. No problems on the car so far. but i'm sure he will get it done soon.

My 98 DX had 86K miles when i bought it. hopefully it will last me a bunch more miles so I can save for the timing belt change. Dealership quoted me about $600 for parts/labor including the waterpump and $100 more if I get the oil seals done.Does anyone know if the oil seals are really necessary? do they really need to be replaced at all?

I did most of the major fluid maintenance on the car and it runs well. So the timing belts and associated stuff are the major maintenance items to be done. So is it true that the timing belt plays a major role in these honda engines? or does that go for all cars?

SiGSR

yeaaaay.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm 160,000 miles one mine now. Way over due. I've attempted to do it, but the pulley bolt is a pain in the ass. Belt looks half beaten but I'm sure will still hold unless I redline it every gear.

jaybee333

5+ Year Member
The front main oil seal is cheap and easy to replace at the same time you do the timing belt. Although it rarely fails, it is such an easy way to insure that it won't go bad that it is a good time to do it.

Yes, the timing belt is very important. It controls the opening and closing of the valves in an overhead cam engine and it connects to the crank shaft by the pully. It's called a timing belt or chain because it times the opening and closing of the intake and exhaust valves. Some cars have a timing chain which oftin lasts the life of the engine. These Honda engines and many others have belts instead of chains to save weight and afford quicker response. To me though the chain seems a better idea. Maybe one of the more experienced members could explain that point.

bionictony

5+ Year Member
so did you guys use the breaker bar to hold the crankcase pulley to loosen the bolt? Or is an impact gun good enough? on my 91 civic, all I used was an impact gun. the nut came right off.